EN CN
After FW Update stability problems
  • Hey,

recently i have updated the Firmware to the newest 2.60b4. When i test the gimbal and move the handle left to right bit faster or up and down, the gimbal, espacially yaw lose its positions and starts to shaking. As i remember i hadnt this problems with the last FW. I have erased EEPROM, but did not work. Do someone know how to proceed. Its frustrating.

It is a BG001-pro from famoushobby, 32bit with 6208 motors

Thank you
  • I made a Auto tuning now after i reset everything. Follow mode is of. IMU calibrated and the Gimbal is balanced well. With Auto tuning the problem is the same like with manual PID tuning. whats wrong with that??

Here is a video of my problem which shows it.
    better

The YAW distortion happens, when i move the Handle bit faster. When i move it slower, there is less problem. But there should be no problem with moving fast right?

Hope someone can help. Thank you!
    M.
  • Are you sure your yaw is well balanced? How does it work if you make the roll movement slow?
  • hello Marcin, do you try to calibrate the gyroscope (frame and camera IMU)?
  • Hey,
    thanks for your answer.

yes i think its balanced well. Yaw stays in position when motors are switched off and i try to tilt or pan.

Like you asked, when i make a slow roll movement, its ok and yaw makes no problem. Only when i make a stronger roll movement, then it loses yaw control. i dont get it. in the past it was good.

• Hey Paolo,

yes i calibrated the gyroscope on both IMU. But nothing changed.
  • The yaw must stay on direction when you roll the handles unpowered.
    In any case that is not yaw drift and not IMU calibration related.
    you can easily test the older FW or newer beta, it is not related to that either.

It is something else wrong on the setup.
  • Hey Garug,

you think something wrong with software adjustment or with the gimbal (Hardware) itself?

I checked. everything moves freely without any pulling cables or so. Battery is on yaw cage. Every axe moves smooth when unpowered and the frame seems sturdy aswell which is made with good quality i thing. I start to tune PID again. maybe some wonders will happen, but i think not.
  • I am 95% sure it is the setup, Based on the video the most likely reason looks like problems on yaw balancing. See the Yaw balancing at about 2:00 in here

Make a video where you operate the gimbal normally, especially rolling the handle so that it first works normally and then gradually increasing the speed until it fails.

Note also, especially non encoder gimbal will eventually fail on very fast moves, but so what, you should never operate a gimbal like that, that kind of moves would show on video even if the gimbal is perfect.
  • Hey Garug,
    here is a new try. Its a bit better. I tuned the PID and tried to balance yaw better. I added a quick release plate for more weight, because the Black Magic Micro is very light. When i pitch the gimbal unpowered forward, the yaw drifts slowly to one side, but very slowly and not immediately after pitch movement. I tried to balance it perfectly, but less than a Millimeter of adjustment cause movement to the other side. Its a pain in the a.. and nearly impossible to balance it 100% perfect.

I know its not a natural movement of the gimbal, but for example running shots, car shots or low shots over the ground by holding the top handle could be critical. Or is this just a downside of this technology? My next attempt is mounting encoders.

Should i accept this behavior?

thanks again.

M.
  • Yeah, the yaw tuning can be often difficult because the construction flex and the geometry changes. That is what divides excellent and not so excellent gimbals ;) but small unbalance is ok.

The roll is not quite perfect. Do you have enough power on it? it is ok that motors get warm without encoders, but not hot. The PID tuning might need some work too. Is it sure all axis move free?

The gimbal controller is capable of working in every position and does it well when the gimbal construction and tuning is good.

This is a very old video, one of my first gimbal builds with 8 bit board

this one demonstrates the power of encoders and strong gimbal

• Hey Garug,

something is wrong with this side here. I cannot see any video links anymore. Not on my computer, mobile or ipad. Could you post the ending to the videos from your previous post maybe. Would like to see it :-)

All axis moves freely. There is only a very tiny and flexible HDMI-Cable for monitoring and the cable for the joystick, which is very flexible too. This gimbal should perform well. I have seen some very smooth running videos on youtube from this.

I rise the power on Roll and Yaw. Now Roll is at 180 and Yaw at 200. AND...Yaw stability improved a lot i think. I have to push the Roll movement a lot stronger to push it out of control this time. PID have to be tuned more. Auto tune on yaw makes very high values on P=150 and D=255 which seems strong but causes vibrations in certain angles. My guess is, that the Yaw motor (GBM 6208-150T) is a bit weak or not?

And a question: What is exactely meant by warm and hot motors? At 200 power it get warmer on the outer housing. Do you mean, i shouldnt get hot on the housing (touch) or inside? Are there methods to measure the temperature more exact than only touching or is it ok to touch? I know this was discussed quite a lot everywhere, but warm to the touch is not very precise.

Encoders would help this motor and improve stability because of higer torque? (your video tells it i think)

So many questions :-) I very appreciate your support.

Thank you very much.

• "www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kn_bzmgAZc"
    "www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV7hpWdBzhA"
  • ok that encoder video is very impressive :-)