EN CN
Tilt Oscillation in Flight- I can think of anything Left I can try.
  • I know this problem is common but I have done all the basic stuff I can think of.
    first the gimbal is 2 axis. I am running a larger motor for Roll than tilt for space and weight.
    Video of the problem

-First the gimbal setup with the Camera and Motor wires going through the core of the roll motor. I have since run them on the outside away from the motor in an attempt to solve the problem.
    - I have Ferrite chokes on both imus close to the controller and close to the frame imu. The two motor wires are wrapped around Ferrite cores.
    -The power is filtered, I have tried using an external battery and it made no difference in flight.
    -My current Settings are 80 .1 70 with a power of 200. I started with 80, .26, 45 for good performance not in flight. The settings don't seem to matter unless I turn P or power down so low it doesn't hold the camera.
    -Adaptive PID doesn't seem to make a difference.

-The new filters might do something but I have no idea what values to use.

What am I missing? I am running out of ideas to fix this problem

Thanks,
    Mark

• It looks like it is not Pitch movement, but up and down movement. That is a mechanical problem. Is there any vibration dampening? looks very stiff.
  • Wow, that's vibration all right!

I agree with Garug. That's mechanical. The gimbal needs to be reworked, no other solution.

However, if you want to be really sure, you could perform a really cheap test I'm thinking: really low Power and PID, just enough to hold the camera, or directly with the gimbal turned off and tied or blocked axes, see if the shaking is the same...
  • I forgot to add that, if I turn down the P or the Power low, the problem disappears.

The Gimbal is dampened by 10 vibration dampening balls.
    One thing I haven't tried is clamping the balls down.
    I can get the effects to lessen bot not stop. I put a setting that is more pronounced to make it visible on video.
  • I would try to reduce the number of dampening balls, but difficult to say without really seeing it. Anyway on video it looks like a mechanical problem.

Is the Pitch well balanced? Are the dampening balls equally compressed, i.e. is the gimbals center of gravity in about middle of the dampening balls?
  • Pitch is balanced good. After the comments I looked at the balls and saw with the weight of the camera they were really flexing a lot. I clamped the whole thing down with screws and nuts and it solved the problem, I'm printing a new top plate that is thicker and carbon fiber and putting ear plugs in all the damper balls. It actually has 20 not 10. When I was testing with a lighter camera I didn't have the issue. I should have realized that.
  • I printed new top plates in Carbon Fiber and added ear plugs to the bushings, it totally fixed the problem.
  • Glad you fixed it and explained how.

Best regards.