EN CN
Need some assistance for a handheld gimbal
  • Hey everyone. I'm looking to build my own handheld gimbal for my Gopro like Alex did in this video. http://youtu.be/uHFLiGFWpvs

I've seen that there are a lot of 3 axis handheld Gopro commercial mounts for sale online. My problem is I would like one like Alex made in the video but want to be able to mount my GoPro in its case. I plan on using this mostly going through canyons and rappelling so I want to be able to keep my camera semi protected incase I drop it or bang it against something. I like Alexs design because it's simple. My question is, do I need to buy one of the new 32bit controllers to achieve results or can I get away with using version 2.4. If I can use version 2.4, what would be the best firmware to use for a handheld gimbal like Alex made? Also, I notice he used a different motor for the yaw control than he used for pitch and roll, is this necessary? Any suggestion on motor sizes to power a gopro inside it's case? Thanks in advance everyone for any help. I would really like the satisfaction of building my own instead of buying a commercially made gimbal
  • NO SUCH THING EXIST! Sugest you use a NEX gimbal mount gopro with the case on that. other option is to use Ebay gopro gimbal with full aluminum enclosure.
  • You can use same motor for all axis if they are strong enough, but Pitch and Roll do not need to be as strong as Yaw. For handheld GoPro gimbal I would suggest to use bigger motors than needed. I would suggest some flat motors on the range of 36 to 40 mm diameter range. Also build the gimbal strong, stronger than you think you need.

32 bit board with 2 IMUs will work better especially on strange positions and they are more compact. For this kind of application I would strongly suggest using rain proof box for the electronics and joystick is nice to have.
  • Thank you Garug for the comments. Appreciate the recommendations.