EN CN
ROLL problem (and a weird pitch motor)!!!!!
  • hey all!

I made a 3 axis dslr gimbal 3 months ago, It worked but I got better 9017 motors which can handle the weight of my camera.
    The roll works fine actually, and pitch is ok, not great but ok. Roll is terrible! it stabilizes for 2-5 degrees of movement but after that, the whole bracket moves with it in a oscillating movement, which keeps it perpendicular to the gimbal.

Also the pitch axis vibrates when going over +45 or +-45 degrees, I also got every gains here and additional gains.

I had a lot of time in getting the right gains, the auto feature just doesn't seem to work for me, neither the "precise" way nor the "stable way". And so I watched too many videos about getting the right gains, again, without succes.

I had no idea how to fix it, I got some ferrite rings around the cables and I calibrated the sensors again both the gyro and acc.
    This also didn't make it any better, and for now, I have no idea how to get my gimbal to work properly.

Im in the rc hobby for 5 years so I have experience enough but this is beyond my limit hah.

Im running on a 4s lipo and my power settings are 180 for the roll motor, 150 for pitch and 170 for yaw.

Im not sure what you would like to know but I hope someone knows this problem with the info I just gave.

short again: The pitch vibrates over 45 degrees and the roll wouldn't stabilize over about 10 degrees in both ways (it gets in a very weird low frequency vibrations (very low).

again I hope someone can help.

Cheers,

Bas (without a working gimbal :( )

• oh and I also got the newest b7 software
  • Was it ok before changing the motors? have you measured the motors that they are ok? Did you do the basic setup again, number of poles etc?
  • Well it didnt work because the roll motor would bend of the weight. The new motors are all ok, the yaw works fine and if I swap them its still the roll motor.
    I also got the right poles in the gui
  • It could be that Roll would need a cage around the motor to support it. Or the roll arms flex too much, observe for rotational flex and twist, difficult to say without seeing the construction.
  • The roll cage is only supported on the motor but its not able to flex or twist.
    My camera is not too heavy so that wont be the problem, as soon as I get home I will send some pictures or upload a video, if that would make it clear.
  • hey,

Here are some videos which show the problems and vibration.
    The gains are not good, I know, but I did a full reset to see wether that would make a change, too bad.
    I hope someone can recognize the problem in the videos and tell me what I need to do!

thanks already!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wom5jhwqkan155y/AAAWXKJchN2cePbNgIFIIiaca?dl=0
  • There is something seriously wrong with the Roll. If the motor is ok, it could be the cable or controller. On GUI you can define the Motor outputs, so you could swap Roll with the other motor outputs and test if the current Roll motor output is faulty.

It would be good also to eliminate everything unnecessary like Joystick until it is working. Also make sure than no follow modes etc. are activated. Jut try to get it working with simplest possible configuration, including using only Camera IMU if you have 2 IMUs. (it is enough to disconnect the other IMU from GUI)
  • Hi Basdebee,

I have exactly the same problem as you but with the pitch.
    And I have the same 3axis frame too.
    Only my motors are Turnigy HD 5208 Brushless Gimbal Motor.
    I use a 8bit controller.

Have you find something?

Cheers