EN CN
Tilting and rolling fast
  • Hey guys

I'n tuning pids for a 2.8kg camera. When I try to pitch and roll fast I notice that the blue value in roll and pitch diagrams in the gui right side changes and gets lower as far as pids get better. Which value might I expect to reach? Right now pitch reachs like 0.90 deg and roll 1.3... do you think I can do better considering camera inertia?

I have 4s 8 bit 2.40 fw

My pids are
    Roll 44 0.1 44 220
    Pitch 40 0.12 40 150
    Yaw 38 0.01 46 250

Lpf 2
    Gyro high sens disabled
    Gyro trust 150 (can this value change a lot to low blue values?
    Acceleration compensation disabled (can this help)?
    Limit Accelerations disabled (can this help?)

Many thanks!!!
  • Forgot to add that I'm using 8108 motors on the three axis
  • Any ideas guys?
  • I usually follow the white numbers on the indicators or realtime display ERR_ when tuning.

I think I had below 0.5 degrees error with 2.4 8 bit with Canon 5D and EF 24-105 f4 IS. so not quite 2.8 kg though.

It is absolutely worth trying Gyro High sense. I have been told that it only doubles the P and D, but my experience was that it changes also something else on 8 bit boards. Anyway the PIDs need to be retuned after activating it. Also gyro LPF can help on big gimbals.

I think acceleration compensation only works if FC is connected, anyway it should not affect much to accuracy, nor gyro trust. Limit acceleration only affects the maximum acceleration, useful in RC control and maybe Follow mode. I usually do not use it. If you have weak Yaw motor it could help but not really provide any more accuracy.

It is difficult to say anything about the PIDs without actually having the gimbal and camera in front, but your Yaw 'I' should probably be higher.

Ps. This was with 8 bit 2.40b7

• Yes I tuned a 5d and 24-105 today I could easily get low error values even with fast movings. With the 2.8 kg camera I don't know why but it was impossible to enable high gyro sens without having terrible vibrations (even with lpf set to 2)... so I guess the big inertia is an issue and Pid have to handle it.
  • One common reason for vibrations is flex. it could be the gimbal flexing under the heavy weight but it could also be the camera or camera installation. Supporting camera from bottom and top has always helped me. If this is not possible, chancing IMU position could help. If IMU is installed on the camera it could help.
  • Generally I always put IMU in flash shoe. What do you mean with "Supporting camera from bottom and top"?
  • That would be possibly most important single improvement to any gimbal design that does not already have it. After it you will be able to use higher PID values, there will be less vibrations and the gimbal is more accurate.

I mean simply connecting a support from flash shoe to the pitch motor.