EN CN
Solid red light, no flashing green, "serial data corrupt".
  • Hey guys, this is a very similar error to the one posted in "So how screwed am I????", except this is straight out of the packaging.

I haven't even plugged in the motors, or the battery, but I plugged in the USB, installed the proper driver, booted the GUI, selected the new port (COM5 in my case), and I have no connectivity. Just a solid red light, no flashing green, and the message at the bottom in red "serial data corrupt". I didn't drop it or anything - I've been babying it. No chance on installing new firmware either.

Any possible solutions?
  • oh yes, it's a 32 bit board
  • alright, I've found a solution after a few hours, and I'll document it here for those who run into the same issue.

for my problem, I knew that the proper "silabs" driver was installed on my computer, and when I plugged the board in, a COM port would show up in the GUI and in device manger - so I knew it was being read. it just wouldn't connect.

I disconnected all power cables (battery and USB)
    I used a paperclip to jumper across the two solder-less holes in the middle of the board named "FLASH"
    booted up the GUI 2.41, and selected the proper COM port (should be the last one in the list)
    do NOT hit "connect"
    go to the "manual" sub tab
    hit "browse"
    you should be in the firmware folder by default, in the GUI installation folder, but if not, navigate there
    there is a recover.hex file in there, open it
    select the 32 bit board
    flash it.

flashing, beeping yadda yadda

remove jumper or paperclip from FLASH pins/holes on board
    I then went back to the update tab, but instead went into "automatic"
    read the serial number - hit "READ" (this would not work before)
    hit "CHECK"
    take their suggestion of the latest and greatest firmware
    hit "UPGRADE!"

the beeping finally stops.

I'm now reassembling the unit. frig.
  • I have the same issue but can not find Flash pins/holes on the board, what are they near. Can you upload a photo?
    I do have a 32bit board
  • two things,

I've had this problem arise a few more times; once when I was tuning and the the serial data was corrupted and I lost connectivity. I tried reconnecting, and unplugging and plugging back in, and eventually began shutting down programs to reboot my computer because perhaps it was on the fritz, but then I tried one last time and it reconnected and the green light came back on. strange. The second time was when I wasn't anywhere near my computer or USB. I was out showing it to my friend, and I plugged in the battery and there was no green light, and no motor start up. I unplugged, plugged in. nothing. I tried about 4 times and finally it jumped to life. strangest thing.

I couldn't find the FLASH pin holes either - funny since the board is so tiny. near the centre of the board there is a small cluster of pins sticking up. three in a row are associated with "aux" and two are associated with "btn" (button). between these two rows of pins, there are two small holes that would have pins sticking out, but I suppose AlexMos believes the average person shouldn't be allowed to handle the power of reflashing the chip.

good luck.
  • in the bottom right quadrant of this picture, near the centre of the board. This image shows there are pins associated with "FLASH" but on mine they're just empty holes.

http://www.basecamelectronics.com/media/SimpleBGCARM_3D.png
  • I've gone through all the PID stuff and it seems to work great. The only final glitch is when the follow in pitch/roll mode is activated. It doesn't matter what settings I have punched into it, when I write to the chip, the pitch nods about 45 degrees down and holds there, or 45 degrees up, and holds there. in fact, I can hit the "write" button several times, and it will just toggle between these two positions. as soon as I disable this mode, the camera levels off like it should. the yaw follow works fine.
  • I have the DYS Smart Gimbal and I flashed the firmware to the 32bit_recovery.hex and now all i get is solid green & red light. Is this goose cooked?
  • same thing 8 bit board...

How do you force flash the boards through Arduino?
  • same thing 8 bit board.........me too
  • I'm unfamiliar with the 8-bit board, so I have no idea whats up with those.

well, it seemed like this re-flash seemed to work, but there was a couple of times where I would get the "red light of death" (no green light at all, no motor activation etc). but after a disconnect and re-connect it seemed to jump back to life.

However now it is entirely useless. I will plug in the usb, reflash the board with the recovery firmware, get connectivity, load the most recent version of firmware on the board, reprogram the whole bugger, plug in the battery, unplug the USB and have some fun. But as soon as I was done with the gimbal and cut power to it (unplugged the battery in this case), and plugged it back in for next use, I would get the "red light of death". I'd then have to re-flash the firmware etc etc just to get it working again.

is this a RAM issue? it seems to not keep its programming after it looses power.
  • Hi friends,
    Today I was trying to tune my 3 axis alexmos controller to work with the DYS 3 axis gimbal.

The tunning was going well until the computer (mac book air) turned off and restarted, the controller beeped once and after that the controller board green light never turned on again, Ive already tryed to download the firmware via Xloader, and it doesnt work, and it is not posible to conect it to the GUI...

Please someone help me!!

Thanks for your support!