EN CN
Compensate voltage drop
  • Hey, mates, a quick question:

Do you recommend enabling the option “Compensate voltage drop” in Service?

Until now, I had it unchecked. I enabled it to try (I use a 3 S lipo battery). Could it be bad for the board, the motors, or the battery? Does it make the battery last longer, or less, or the same? Does it improve the stabilization in any way?

I forgot a couple of times to unplug from USB before disconnecting the battery, and luckily the board didn't burn (is it possible, anyway?). Could this feature burn the board in such situations?

Thanks.
  • Well, tried it in flight and two basic things occurred:

1. The gimbal didn't power on motors sometimes. A battery reconnection was necessary. This didn't ever happen before.

2. In some flights, the stabilisation wasn't good at all.

Conclusion: I'm disabling “Compensate voltage drop” again.
  • I think the “Compensate voltage drop” is very good. Without it when battery voltage drops the gimbal gets not so well tuned. I think what it does is simply it adds power when voltage drops, i.e. it keeps the power to the gimbal motors the same, regardless of the battery voltage.

For it to function correctly you need first to calibrate the voltage (with help of a voltmeter) and then provide the correct full voltage.

On a multi copter I would not use the low voltage alarm or stop motors if the main battery is used to power the gimbal as you need to land anyway before the voltage gets too low.

Note: you should verify the PID tuning after activating the “Compensate voltage drop” . It might be that some minor re-tuning is needed.

• OK, thanks a lot for the info.

I'll keep testing.
  • I also enabled stop motors, but the voltage was far from the treshold, so I don't know for sure which option was the problem, and I'm not trying to figure it out for the moment.

I disabled “Compensate voltage drop” and stop motors and the gimbal is working as usual right now.

I'll stick with the same configuration for some time. It works just fine. No need to compensate voltage, nor stop motors, since I constantly check battery voltage.