EN CN
  • Would be nice to have Follow speed adjustable during operation via Sum-PPM etc. Different focal lengths require different Follow speeds.

I was experimenting yesterday with 24-105 optics on 5D and 105 mm requires really slow panning. But truthfully there is other problems too, the weight shifts so much when Zooming, especially when filters are used that it is difficult to find suitable PID and Power parameters for the whole Zoom range. The Motors can take the weight but start easily vibrating/jittering when out of balance. Maybe some internally zooming objectives are easier on this regard than the Canon 24 - 105 f4.

But anyway I think this would be nice for different situations even if fixed optics is used.
  • Hi garug. I don´t zoom with any stabilizer. Not even without it :-)
  • I was running into the same issues as Garug. To fix it, I got on craigslist and found a 35mm fixed lens for my 5DMII.
  • The ideal focal length to these gimbals is the 24mm. If we´re using full frame like 5DMKII or MKIII
  • Hi, Try one of the Chinese made macro base plates that allow forward back adjustments. The Manfrotto is too big, but the others are not to much additional weight. Then you simply can set the neutral balance on the camera plate. I got one for $15.
  • That could be one solution, but I am afraid it would not be solid enough installation for the camera. I have lately put plenty of effort for fixing the camera firmly to the frame. It really makes the whole gimbal much better. Using just the camera screw and there was all kind of vibrations. Now much higher PID values are possible.

I would not use zoom during the session except maybe for some special effects. But I will use also different focal lengths than 24mm. For that it would be good to be able to adjust the follow speed from external control. Adjusting the follow speed for different styles would also be good. But with the upcoming mobile applications and bluetooth connection I guess it will be easy enough without external control.