EN CN
IMU not working? Can't calibrate the gimbal.
  • Hi all,
    I am having a hell of a time with my gimbal calibration. Basically the readings for the pitch and roll will not act in accordance to the IMU fully. And I say fully because when I move the sensor on the roll axis the GUI shows the right move (which btw it also shows on the pitch reading...) When I pitch the IMU nothing happens on the readings. I tried calibrating but I get nothing. PLEASE help me!! Here is a 4 min. video that shows my problem. Btw: I'm a noob!
  • Could be that you have a broken IMU, I had.

What does the real time data show?
  • sounds like you have the Z and X axis incorrectly set up. + Z is with the electronic components on the sensor board facing up and + X the arrow on the board needs to be pointing away from the pitch motor. Otherwise you need to set -Z or -X or combination of + and - as needed be according to your sensor position on the gimbal. That is in Basic Tab, in Sensor window for Axis Top and Right. And you need to have the Sensor board mounted perfectly parallel with the Pitch axis.
  • Garug,
    I am suspecting that it is too. I tried attaching a pic to show you but couldn't. Basically the real time data doesn't even show an audio-like waveform; rather than peaks, the "waveforms" look squared and very erratic.
    Marian,
    I tried switching the axis assingments but had no luck. It's like the gyroscope can't settle in any position. No matter how you have the axis set, if the sensor lies still shouldn't the blue gyroscope arrows stop moving? Mine certainly don't. In fact if the sensor lies still (while roll seems to get a good grip on the direction the pitch blue gyroscope indicater moves up and down without much logical pattern.

I will replace the IMU and get back to this thread with the result - hopwfully it will help someone else with the same problem. Thank you both for your responses!
  • Oh question to Garug: can I use a different IMU than the one I have?
  • It must be same ship, if I remember correctly MPU-6050. I am currently using different IMU than original on one of my gimbals (but it is same ship). With that I had I2C problems before the cable was rerouted differently than with the original. I will replace it with the original now that I have one.