EN CN
Yaw follow jitter
  • Hey guys!
    Installed my 3rd axis a week ago and I have been trying to get my yaw follow mode working without success. Pitch follow is working. I'm using a DIY gimbal with 5208-200T Motors on Pitch and Roll and a 6208-150T on Yaw. Gimbal is balanced pretty good. When using locked mode everything is working like a charm. (Except the "motor is missing steps" message I always get)
    I have one IMU below the camera and the frame IMU on top of yaw axis. When I activate follow yaw and start turning it is very slow and when I turn it more than just slightly, it starts to jitter and totally looses control on yaw. It doesn't even recover. I have to turn it manually to get back to a straight position.
    PIDs are auto tuned to P 141 I 0.04 D 131, Power is set to 130 and follow speed is set to 50. Deadband 5, Expo 80. Estimate angles from motor is deactivated and offsets are set to 0.
    Any suggestions what I should try?

Greetings,

Michael
  • You are probably trying to move the yaw more than the yaw motor can control. Try setting lower follow speed and using acceleration limiter.

If yaw motor is not getting too warm, try adding power and retuning PID, try auto tuning one axis at the time and using good stability settings.
  • I have the same issue as Michael. In normal stabilised mode it performs perfect even with some noise frm pitch motor. I have pitch follow working fine. Just yaw, driving me crazy. Have followed Garug instructions to lower speed and it starts too follow very slowly. I try too speed it up and it starts too oscillate and loses control. I feel I'm missing something in some way but can't find where I'm going wrong here. Can you throw any light please guys.
  • How heavy is your camera with lens and where did you install the battery ?

For my Canon 7D with a Sigma 20mm lens, I'm using this Gimbal:
    http://www.famoushobby.com/kit-bg001pro-famoushobby-dslr-3axis-brushless-gimbal-kitgh4-handle-gimbal-steadicam-pro-systemwith-motorscontrollerbattery-p-573.html
    I only have changed the Yaw motor for a bigger motor !
    It was a 6208H and now it's a 8017 motor and it's working very cool :-)
  • If the yaw really is not working well on follow, it could be broken motor, or inverted status wrong. Inverted status should always be set with the motor auto and poles corrected after.
  • Not sure of camera and lens weight I'd have too look. I have the RCTIMER legacy gimbal. I've had the follow working well at one point early in the setting up. Now the pitch follow works fine and yaw skips when the speeds turned up too something usable. I've put the battery on the underside of the gimbal below the yaw motor too keep in balance. I'm considering moving it just in case I'm loading too much on the lower frame. I've not been near it for a day or so I'm picking motivation too go back too it. It'll not defeat me. Ha ha. Thanks for the replies guys.
  • Hi!
    Sorry for the late answer. Was pretty busy the last days. Today I tried to increase Power till the motor gets warm. Tried autotune and after 5mins had some values with I = 0.00 -> didn't work out. When using a desoldered PS2 controller joystick, I can move it to any angle in any position. I don't think it's power related. It's absolutely smooth.
    Gimbal weight with 70D and 18-55 3.5-5.6 is 4.1kg. It's completely self made. Battery is above yaw, controller below. Do you think I have to upgrade for a 8017? That would kill my budget...
    I'm going nuts with this calibration!!!!
  • Tune without follow activated. Give it some starting values like 40, 0.2, 30 and stat the tuning from that, Autotune one axis at time with good stability settings.

If basic settings and balancing are ok and that does not work, then you need to look in to the gimbal construction, something needs to be improved. Maybe motors, maybe something else. The construction needs to be solid. Big motors will not help if it is not solid.