EN CN
  • Is it possible to use the Yaw axis just like a servo, so no Gyro input, no stabilization function on this axis? The idea is that if the RC stick is in neutral, the yaw axis should be in center in relation to the board and with the stick at full left, the camera looks to the left. No stabilization needed and hence no gyro drift even after a few hours of nonstop operation.

Thanks
  • Hello
    I'am agree with you on this one, but you will need to add a potentiometer on the yaw axis and alex will need to add this fonction as well. Hope alex will do it cause yaw drift is a real problems...
    Thanks
  • Well, a poti is not really needed in a simple implementation because you control the motors. Let's make it very simple and assume that the controller simply leaves the power on the motor windings constant. In that case the motor will not turn. Of course, with force I can turn it up to a position where the next magnet locks in, but that is an awful far way.
    The only thing you would need a poti for is for getting the absolute position at start-up and if these jumps from one magnet to the next would occur.
    Both not that likely.
    Hence in fact the implementation would be quite simple and no hardware change needed.
  • I have been playing with the YAW axis in different modes, the drift is unacceptable. One degree per minute means the camera is looking somewhere else entirely within 15 minutes. If you are flying with a copter and you want the camera to be static no matter of how the copter turns, well, then you cannot do much.
    But way more often the YAW axis is used in relation to the copter axis. So if the copter turns, the camera turns with it. And the RC input is used to look left and right from the copter.
    In such a mode you can remove the drift entirely. Use the Gyro input to dampen little movements but else keep the motor position static. With Pitch Tilt you have the Accel sensor to avoid drift of the gyro.
    Or is this what the follow mode does???
  • Pitch and Roll get reference from gravity, for Yaw there is no reference.

One degree per minute is quite lot of drift though. Maybe something wrong with gyro calibration or RC sub-trim setup.
  • There is a reference, the power applied to each motor pole. There is no reference if you assume the YAW axis should remain stable in relationship to earth, but if in relationship to the copter...
    Then you can ignore the Gyro altogether or, like I suggested, use it for compensation of tiny movements.

But I get the impression that the follow mode does exactly that - would like to get confirmation though,