EN CN
Setting offsets - aligning the gimbal
  • I thought I was coming to terms with this but I have to say, I am spending an enormous amount of time trying to make my camera point straight. I have come to accept I just don't understand how the software is thinking.

I have a 3 axis gimbal with a Panasonic Lumix GH3 camera (12-35mm ƒ2.8 lens). the three motors are all G5208-200T

In the follow mode tab I am adjusting the offsets and hitting "Write". Often nothing happens, sometimes very little happens, sometimes it jumps a large amount and sometimes it goes in the wrong direction. It is almost impossible to align the camera this way. I have a joystick setup which can set the yaw and the pitch perfectly but it doesn't seem to remember these adjustments when calculating the home position. I have to do this every time I switch the thing on. I also have the button set up to allow position by hand but that is only temporary too. Trying to move anything by hand is like trying to hold a freaked out fish. Not a happy gimbal!

Am I missing something or does the trim part of the GUI need development work? This is so frustrating. I must say though, firmware 2.4 b7 has definitely helped stop my roll axis and yaw axis deciding to link together in follow mode. They stay separate most of the time now, unless the gimbal is moved fairly vigourously.
  • I think you´ll have to study bettr the offsets and the way they work. It took me a long time to do it but now I understand how it works. I don´t think if I explain you will understand what I mean as I will probably see the system from a different angle...the offsets for pitch and roll work great. For the yaw you´ll have to do it manually. Power cycle and see how much the deviation is and inputing values. Power cycle again and see if that´s the right direction you´re going or the opposite one. After a few trial and error tries you´ll get there.
  • Thanks kikojiu

OK, the thing I wasn't doing there is the power cycle. So adjusting then writing to the board doesn't do it? The ones I am actually having the most trouble with are the pitch and roll. In fact when I make a change to the pitch offset and write it to the board sometimes the roll will move a little bit but not the pitch. Yes, I have checked the motor orientation. Actually, apart from this, my gimbal is working very nicely and really impressing my friends.

My goal is to get the gimbal so I can always find the correct home position without connecting it to a computer by USB. If I am on a shoot I may not get the chance to do that. The two things that have helped is changing profiles with the button I have set up, which resets it, and programming it to allow positioning by hand.
  • Do the auto offset first. It will properly set the offsets for pitch and roll (don´t forget to position the frame perfectly aligned with the ground before doing the offsets) and them do the yaw offset by hand with the power cycle trick :-)
    Good luck