EN CN
Motors won't power on unless USB connected
  • I have been tuning and learning about my new 3-axis board and gimbal and somehow it stopped wanting to power on the motors unless/until I plug it into the usb. Then it functions normally, even if usb is disconnected, until the next time I power it up. Red light illuminates but green does not go on until I plug it in.

Anyone know what I did and how to fix it? Thank you so much in advance, quite frustrating!
  • Mine sometimes takes a while to engage the motor output, especially the yaw motor, I occasionally have to power down then on again. But it always works.
  • hmmm. that doesn't seem to be the same thing happening but thanks :)
  • update: it actually needs to be plugged in to the usb at all times to operate normally. otherwise only the red power led is illuminated. once I plug it in the smaller red led and the green led - as well as the led on the sensor) light up and the board functions normally
  • Are you using a 4S battery?
  • yes. same battery that was working earlier this week.
  • anyone? I am convinced it is battery related. I was hoping they were just dead but just tried with a charged one and it is doing the same thing, although continues to function normally when usb is disconnected (as I correctly remembered happening originally). I should say this began to happen while I was making a lot of small tweaks and repeatedly writing changes to the card.
  • change battery. If not reflash firmware. Usually works
  • BTW. Download version 2.4 which is already available and it is amazing....Good luck
  • thank you so much for the suggestions! unfortunately that did not help, well I reflashed to 2.3 just for now at least. I'm feeling like perhaps I should reset my board to factory settings but need to figure out how to do that too, haha.

I'm now having some issues with the sensor reading as not connected, or uncalibrated, inconsistently - and then working normally right afterwards (without touching it) when i connect/disconnect or turn on/off the motors .... hmmm... fun! haha
  • bah, upgraded to firmware 2.4 and the gimbal powered on as normal (not connected to usb) once - albeit with some strange behaviour - i changed one setting and it's back to the same behaviour as before! frustrating!!
  • I am still struggling with this issue. can anyone offer any more suggestions?

the sensor is only getting power(ed up) when the board is connected to a usb cable and I'm feeling like this is a major part of the problem. might it be a hardware issue? the cable connecting the sensor?
  • Sounds like the 5V regulator is broken. You could verify that with a voltmeter.
  • great suggestion! is it on the board or the sensor? is there a schematic for the board available?
  • There is many connectors where you should find the 5 or 3.3 V. Where the connectors are and if power is connected to them depends of your board. If you look the manual (SimpleBGC_manual_2_4_eng.pdf) You should find GND and VCC and also GND and +5V the +5V might require JP1 to be connected.
  • thank you so much for the help! I didn't see anything in the manual but will look into it later today
  • See the picture of the board, it has the output pins marked.
  • The regulator is about 5mm square with three legs, the one in the middle will be cut off short and not connected, put your meter across the two outside legs.
    I will take a guess that the regulator may be ok but one of the tantalum capacitors is bad, so you are getting a brief movement of your motors then nothing?
  • no movement at all until/unless I plug it into the usb.

will check the regulator tonight