EN CN
Problems with tuning big DSLR gimbal (strange motor noise, can't keep up with fast movements etc...)
  • Hi guys.
    I bought famoushobby gimbal, with 2x5108 for tilt and 2x8017 for roll and pan motors.
    Problem is that I cannot tune this gimbal for Canon 5D markIII.
    Gimbal is balanced on tilt and roll, currently Im only working on tilt axis and im stuck.
    When Im using rc control, (-45, 95 angle) in speed mode (or any other mode) in certain positions motors are making very strange noise, here can see it and hear it in this video:

and when using it with hands if I do faster move, tilt can't keep up with it and just throw off position and than it goes back:

Since gimbal is well balanced, 2 motors on tilt axis are strong enough for 5D, what can be the problem?

power is set at 200.
    P,I,D for tilt are - 40, 0.2, 25
    gyro trust is 100
    gyro high sensitivity is not turned on...
  • try to rise the P from the pitch... up to 30-35 to resolve the issue from the 2nd video.
    Also try to do a advanced calibration for ACC, it might resolve your problem from the 1st video.

I have the GB004 from famoushobby and for RC i have limit at 45 grades so i don't know if i have or not a problem with it at 90 grades.

I will test it tomorrow and i will tell you here if it's working or not
  • thanks for the reply.
    I did advanced calibration and P is already set to 40 in video (even with P higher than 40 i have the same problem).

I also have another famoushobby gimbal, that;s working fine, (with 3x5208 motors) for aerial shoots, on cinestar8, that carry gh2, so I set that 90 angle by default, but i probably won't need that angle on handheld gimbal, but sometimes strange motor noise is there when camera is horizontal, there's no rule (but most often it's there when I tilt 90 degree down)
  • I've had these problems at extreme limits of pitch. I just avoid getting into those angles. For most production work I do, I'm gentle with the gimbal and letting it fly me, rather than forcing it rapidly, which results in instability. So far I've learned the limitations and live within those. I know it's not a fix, but if the images are silk smooth within the limits - www.jodagimbal.com
  • Hello your tilt motors are out of sink
  • You mean one is wrongly inverted or something else?
  • no not inverted but not turning at the same rate
  • I connected two tilt motors like this:
    first I connected only one, than click 'AUTO' in motor configuration tab and found right connection, than I disconnect that motor and connect other with the same procedure. Than put ferite rings on both motor's and connect both motors to servo spliter (which I used from beginning when I tested motors polarity)
    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/543/gzwm.jpg
  • Is there any way to fix this, when they are out of sync?
  • I've managed to fix problems from first video with PID settings... Now only to fix bad response of tilt axis from second video