EN CN
Horizon drift on Alexmos 32
  • Hi
    I'm about to buy a iFlight gimbal that use the Alexmos 32 controller.
    I've seen some test shots from the manufacture and it does not look good. It has a heavy horizon drift and it twitch once in while.
    It looks to me to be due to bad balancing or bad gimbal calibration but the company says it's a fault in the Alexmos controller.
    The question is: is it possible for me to make it work properly?
  • I can not say about the iFlight gimbal, but with Alexmos 32 controller it is possible to get good horizon. It requires though a good gimbal, careful IMU calibration and gimbal setup and good vibration dampening.

There is now possibility also for the temperature calibration.

However there is conditions when the Horizon will drift, like accelerating the multicopter sideways to high speed and then rotating to flight direction easily causes temporally drift on horizon. I will post later on today an example.
  • Here is an example of the drift on the videos supplied by the manufacture :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocggjatwaky3v5b/SteadyGim6 -BMCC_1.mp4?dl=0

I've added Lines to showing the horizon of the camera and the aerial video they provided was post stabilized but I reversed that to see the raw result (they stabilized after adding a logo).

The manufacturer is not competent at making videos but their gimbal might be alright if balanced and calibrated properly. So far it's the only gimbal that fits my need in that price range.
  • On handheld I get as good roll than any other axis, typically well below 0.1 degree error according the GUI indicators.

This is from weekends flight testing