EN CN
Joystick Module Question
  • Hi,

I recently bought a joystick module for a PS2 controller (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJGGNEM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but I can't seem to get the software to read it.

Here's where I'm at:

I'm running an 8-bit board (I believe) and am using SimpleBGC GUI v2.42 b7. I have successfully tuned the gimbal/setup and have it working fairly well. I decided I'd like to add a joystick to give me some independent adjustment during a shoot. I can't seem to get it to work.

When I connect RX_PITCH to the joystick and setup the GUI (RC->Input Mapping->ROLL = RC_PITCH - analog) and write it to the board, I then go to the monitoring tab and RC_ROLL is lit up but only shows 988. As I adjust the joystick, the value for RC_ROLL never changes.

Any help would be appreciated. Is there a different joystick that I should be using? Is this one capable of outputting the correct type of output required by BGC?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
  • Hi Steve,

I do not have experience on that exact joystick but looks like it should be fine if correctly connected.

It is important to know if your board is 8 or 32 bit.

The GND should be connected to the Ground (-)

The VCC should be connected to 3.3V on 32 bit and 5V on 8 bit. Better connect to 3.3 if you do not know, in worst case 5V could destroy the 32 bit board input.

The 'signal' goes to the in GUI defined analog input.

Do you have multimeter? use it to measure between GND and 'signal' when it is connected to the power, to see that the voltage is at centre when the joystick is at centre and raises when moved to other direction and lowers to the other.
  • Garug,

Thanks for the advice, I was away for a little while. I read your comment and it got me to test the leads on everything with a multimeter. I noticed that I wasn't getting the 5V straight to the joystick like I assumed. Then I measured the pins from the BGC.....they weren't giving me 5V either (through the GND, +5V, and Signal of the RX_Pitch pins). I am able to get the device to work when I connect the +5V line to the +5V off GND/5V/TX/RX pins.

This is a temporary solution, but hopefully it will keep me tinkering for a while.

Thanks for the help,
    Steve