EN CN
Motor cages, what am I missing?
  • Hello everyone. I've been browsing the forum and google for a while now, and I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.
    I'm building an aerial gimbal and I have 3 GB85-1 motors. Do I need the crazy expensive cages that are being sold online? (sometimes more expensive than the motors themselves).
    What exactly is the purpose of this cages?
    Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm honestly lost here.
    Thank you very much
  • The GH85 does have big bearings, but they are terribly close to each other (just about 1 cm) also the shaft is really thin and will flex.

Depending of the gimbal and camera the motor alone could be enough to support the roll, but most likely not. it is also that if the motor breaks it will drop the camera from the sky and that is safety hazard + loosing expensive camera.

So it is good to have fail safe construction on the gimbal, if something breaks, it should not come apart.

There is however many ways to archive this kind of fail safe construction that supports the axis well, the cages is one way to do that.
  • hello,
    GB85 motor cage with motor is around $500 , if you buy apart it will cost you more for sure !
    yes you do need cages for a stiffer construction and motor protection.
  • Hi guys, thank you very much for the answers. It makes sense.
    AOPEN3434, I already bought the motors without the cages, I'm looking into building the cages myself.
    Garug, you say the cages is one way of doing that, do you know any other ways you could point me to?
    Thank you very much again, really appreciated.
  • This one if with GB85. It depends much how and of what materials you build the gimbal. tis is made of aluminium. the bar behind of the roll motor has bearing and for pitch it is enough to have bearing opposite the pitch motor.