EN CN
3 motors or 4 motors for RED
  • Im about to build a Gimbal that support RED. Some people say ipower 5208 180T (3 motors) can support red. I saw some videos as well, but I dont think its reliable since the motors are working very hard to balance the heavy camera.

here are them two options i would like you fellas help me out.

1. using 3 ipower 8017-120T motors
    2 using 2 ipower 5209 120T and 2 ipower 5208 180T (any diagrams how to wire 2 motors along the same axis ??)

so which way is more convinient for heavy cameras like RED?

Thanx
    Jhona
  • Hi jhonalovej...The 5208´s are very capable of tuning the gimbal. I have had the red epic mounted on you ki
  • Okay,...I found some videos as well holding Red with exact motors i have, i was just suspecting that the motors may over heated and cause probs since they are designed for dslr cams which are lighter in weight than RED.
  • no! depends on your configuration RED 8017 120T motors are really overkill 5209 180T are good enough
  • Okay than Aopen :))
  • Still it would be interesting to see a 2-motor-per axis setup.
    Has anyone done that?
    Is it possible?

Cheers,
  • Use Tiger GB85's on 3 - works well.
    Pan is still week with all current motors, a 5/1 gear reduction helps.
    We are going to be testing 6 motors (2 on each axis) soon for Alexa/F5 cameras.
    Later
  • I use the 8107 for the RED and works flawlessly. Before I used and tested the 5208´s and worked perfectly too. As long as the gimbal is balanced the motors don´t do much work.
  • Kikojiu,
    What is the weight of your camera setup please?
    Red + lens + follow focus + wireless transmitter + batteries?
  • Hi nnikba the total weight is 4.8-5.0 kgs. RED+FF+lens. But this rig is only supported by the 8107´s. Too heavy for the 5208´s. They hold the RED+Photo lens no more than that.
  • The scientific approach to determine the right BG motor sizing is to start with the camera mass and inertia data..... but it gets complicated. In any case here is a free software tool to get past that critical first step: http://www.controleng.ca/IMCalc.htm