EN CN
Shake effect: a problem with my 3-axis brushless gimbal
  • Dear users,

First of all, we prepared a small video so you can see my problem:

We are having some issues with my 3-axis gimbal. The model is this one, the only difference is that we own the 3-axis version: http://tienda.stockrc.com/epages/eb0140.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eb0140/Products/BLG2SN

It seems that our gimbal shakes the camera, I don't know why. I am using a Sony Nex 5R with the small 16 - 50mm lens. The gimbal works perfectly at home, when we set it. We follow the configurations suggested by your website and we tried our own. We are very carefully about the balance we worked on that too.

Can you help us?

Thank you so much for your time. If you have any question, please write us.
  • I have had that kind of problems also and the reason was not well tuned vibration dampening.

I would suggest following:

1. put the camera as up as possible, i.e. make the distance of the camera from the dampers as short as possible. (if that is adjustable, it seems to be) If you need to have the camera at lower, extend the posts above the dampers.

2. The gimbal seems to have 3 dampers on each corner. try reducing to 2 or even just 1 damper per corner.

3. Try PID tuning, try higher Power/P for Roll.

One step at the time and test.
  • Ciao Garug!
    Thank you for writing me.

We'll test the gimbal as soon as possible and we'll let you know :)
    Your advice seems very useful.
  • The situation is a little improved thanks to your suggestions.
    You can still see some shake when you look at the left and at the right of the video, but it's less evident, particularly in some occasions (we don't know why the gimbal works better in some circumstances). There wasn't wind when we tested the drone.

We changed these parameters:

1. We put the camera as up as possibile (by a long range)
    2. We put some small ties on the dampers to provoke some contractions on them
    3. We set higher PID for Roll

We also changed our propellers: we used wood propellers instead of the carbon fiber ones.

Maybe some of the modifications haven't improved our situation, but I wanted to write them down anyway.

We'l try again as soon as possibile.
    Thank you so much for your help :)
  • Looks very good on the stationary situations or when moving forward, but panning seems to be a bit jerky (at 0:22), Is the yaw working well? are you panning with RC control? if yes, that might need some tuning.
  • There seems pretty sable, but... What happens when you speed up forward, backwards, sideways, and down? I mean, full speed or something, and rough stops.
  • I noticed the gimbal is very sensitive to wind. When you stop and there is a little wind coming, it starts to shake. Same thing when you speed up forward. We are conducting more tests: we found out that the problem is the yaw settings. We disabled it and it looks much better. I hope to post some videos soon, so we can discuss it together.

There are a lot of settings, so probably it's not the gimbal's fault. I'll keep you updated.
    Thanks for now!
  • Our situation is quite improved. We still have to work a little to find if we can proceed even further. We follow the forum instructions and we tried to find the right center of gravity of the camera.
    This is the result:

http://youtu.be/ny4KlsVhzrI
  • and what did you use for pid settings now to improve it? @dronelab
  • If your vibration is mostly under power, ie. wind or acceleration then you may need to look at your motor and prop balance, I use an iPhone vibration app with the phone strapped to each arm then run up the motor and balance. Ensure the machine is secured!
  • The dampeners actually ruin the footage. I adapted one to handheld and the result was disastrous. On a multirotor I was able to use it...but handheld no usable shots. I think it is as good as it will get IMHO. Good luck.