EN CN
Hollow Shaft Motors
  • Hi!
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of hollow shaft motors?
    Thanks!
    Greg
  • Hello! This is something I'm wondering too...maybe with hollow shaft motors you might avoid motor cages since they have 2 bigger bearing inside than normal?! Correct me if I'm wrong please!
  • LOL! So you can pass wires threw center or use a slip ring for clean build with wires out the way 360 degrees of freedom!
  • But it is not all joy, the hollow shaft motors are often flat design, i.e. the bearings are close to each other and can not take rotational load so much (I do not mean the motor torque, but 90 degrees to that) Often the shaft is of aluminium and thin, causing also some safety concerns that need to be taken into account on the gimbal designing, especially if it is a airborne gimbal.
  • Ok but in normal motor, a DYS 5208 200T for example, you just have one tiny bearing so impossible to avoid cage without risking to weak the motor and get play between components (which means microshaking). The hollow shaft motor I think might be used without cage on roll and yaw (if load isn't more than 1,5Kg). What do you think?
  • 1,5 kg is probably starting to be at the limit. This is because the bearings are very near each other.

For airborne applications one should concern also the safety. There should always be a backup if something breaks (fail safe) or it should be so strong that it does not break on the planned lifespan of the component (safe life). As we do not have necessary data for the safe life design I use fail safe design.
  • Yes sure Garug! You're completely right! I always mean hand held applications, not airborne!!
  • Moreover I think roll motor is the most stressed so 1,5Kg is too much for a motor without cage (even if hollow shaft)...on yaw it should be ok because load is in line with bearings most of the time
  • I am currently using GB85-1 on the 5D gimbal and like you mentioned I though that it would be enough to have cage only on roll. But then I noted that I am actually using the gimbal quite lot so that the yaw motor is taking the most load, like in this video.

And now there is some slop on the yaw motor. On future I will strengthen all axis.

Also I was thinking that it will be handheld only so not so much worries about fail safe, but then I realised that some day it might be used on a helicopter etc.
  • Well, I didn't notice any jitter so I guess that slop has not consequences...of course it might get worse day by day but I'm not sure a single bearing cage would be enough...a double bearing cage for sure it will but frame starts to become more complex and heavy!