EN CN
Differences between 2.3, 2,4 and 32 bit 2.4
  • All the firmwares seem to have different PID tuning. I just changed 8 bit 2.4b7 to 32 bit 2.4b8. The PID needs to be much lower on 2.4b8*.

Also it seems that with higher firmware numbers the tuning gets much more demanding, the working range for well working PID values gets narrower.

There is one thing I have noted that gets better FW by FW. it is the error during movements. I think with 2.3 I had well above 1 degree error, with 2.4b7 below one degree, and 2.4b8 can be tuned even for smaller error.

Is it this accuracy that makes the PID tuning more demanding?

If so could there be an adjustment for the accuracy? (i.e. adjustment for maximum allowed error) I think too much accuracy is causing problems with many not so solidly build gimbals and it makes the PID tuning difficult.

After the said, I am just starting with 2.4b8, but I can already say it has great potential. It is very fast, the gimbal can take fast and strange movements much better than with 2.4b7 and the accuracy is great. The second IMU is great improvement also, the gimbal can be disturbed in strange positions and it just returns where it was.

Great job, well done!

But it is not all good yet, the gimbal is ones again more prone to vibrations and with 2 IMUs there is plenty of I2C errors, need find solution for those before the 2.4b8 is usable. (these are most mechanical/electrical issues)

*(with 2.4b7 PIDs where about: High gyro sensitivity, 22, 0.3, 20, power 140 and with 2.4b8: low gyro sensitivity 10, 0.1,8 power 120 so great difference)
  • Very interesting info.

I guess it's just patience, knowledge and much testing to get the perfect PID values.

Does the news 32-bit Autotune work mostly well or it always requires manual tuning anyway? I hope they get rid of something in 8-bit in order to apply to it some Autotune as well...

However, I don't know if the MoVIs and the Zenmuses and the Ronins and all gain much being so “easy” to tune, but have so limited customization, versus much tuning difficulty with SimpleBGC with plenty of possibilities...
  • Now days I use almost only autotune. Doing first tuning for all axis, then tuning the axis one by one, moving the gimbal to position where it has most problems, works great. If there is remaining vibrations the filtering works great.

I would be surprised if 8 bit boards get any updates. Anyway they are limited in memory and speed compared to the 32 bit boards, so only so much they can do, but when well used they work well too.