EN CN
  • When developing the LeViteZer gimbal I have noted that solid frame is really important for the gimbal to work in all positions. A solid frame makes it possible to use vide range of PID/Power settings without vibrations, despite of the gimbal position.

I have put much effort to this and currently the LeViteZer gimbal can operate in any* position even with the 8 bit board. the only problem is when passing +/-180 pitch but this comes from the SW limits.

So was there a point on this post, well it is coming.

When the frame was not super solid (and it was already very solid) it always started vibrating at some angles and lost control easily. I am using 5D with 24-105 f4 objective and ND filter and lens hood, so there is lot of inertia on pitch axis, especially when using 105 mm.

I was just realising that maybe the vibrations where partially because the inertia of the gimbal axis change when pitching the gimbal up or down. Pitching the gimbal up 90 degrees and the yaw becomes roll and roll becomes yaw, but they have been PID tuned in flat position and now the inertias are different. (the same kind of inertia sifting happens when the gimbal is flat and camera pitched down 90 degrees)

What I would propose is kind of dynamic PID tuning. The Roll and Yaw PID values would be tuned in gimbal flat and gimbal 90 degrees up. The SW would then interpolate between these positions during the operation.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*(almost any position roll up to +-80 degrees, after that yaw and pitch are starting to be on same axis)
  • Thinking of how the GUI would be for this functionality as the PID tuning is complicated already as it is especially when doing it for the first time.

It could be as it is now, but in addition there would be Yaw and Roll 90 up PID values. these would be added or subtracted from the flat PID values and by default they would be 0, so if someone does not like to use this feature, they could be just left 0.
  • very nice and interesting - thanks for sharing
  • Not sure all that is needed. I've seen video where the gimbal was rolled over/pitched forward complete 360 degrees and held solid.
  • Yes, I can do that too, even with with 8 bit board (well Pitch is limited +-180 by SW and Roll +-85 mechanically), but a really solid frame is required. A solid frame works satisfactory on huge range of PID values, but not all frames are that solid and even solid frame works better with correct PID.

But this could be somewhat more complicated to implement than what I presented above, but those having the control of the SW could easily try if this would be for any use.
  • HI,

i experienced the same problem on many gimbals installations, and in these cases, relocating the IMU PCB or changing it's orientation( mechanically and of course in the software) solved the problems most of time. BE careful also with ultra solid and stiff mechanics, advantage is that they are slid, but disadvantage is that they will not flex at any time and will make the motor shaft itself flexing if there is the slightest misalignment or tolerance issue in the mechanics..

I noticed also that locating the IMU vertically on the pitch mechanical axes was a nightmare, IMu is much better under the camera ( weight of the camera on the fixation point absorbs vibrations). Also make sure that the camera bolt support is EXTRA stiff or the camera will twist the support plate and this causes a lot of unbalance / wagging / oscillation problems on many actual market gimbals.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,
    Fabien
  • Thanks Fabien for your input.

I have now moved the IMU below the camera. The best location seems to be really dependant of how well the camera is fixed.

On my previous installation the flash shoe was the best place, but that installation had a bit flexing bottom plate. Now the camera is supported from bottom and from flash shoe and the best place is at the bottom of the camera.

Yes indeed, it makes a big difference how and where the IMU is installed.
  • So, is there any difference between placing the IMU at one side of the camera and putting it right above or below the camera?

I have it placed just at the left side of the camera, at 4 or 5 cm from the center of the pitch...
  • There is a big differens how and where the IMU is placed.
  • I found my gimbal is more stable with the IMU mounted directly below the camera.
  • So, I'll guess I'll try changing the IMU location even if it's complicated. It may be worth it. We can't know if we don't test it.