EN CN
I hate the accel calibration - can't that be simplified?
  • It is so time consuming and often requires to disassemble the gimbal just to do the regular accel calibration, not to mention the 6 degree calibration.

For the regular calibration all the software would need to do is move the gimbal into a level position in the roll and pitch axis direction by checking if the accelerometer shows higher or lower values after each micromovement. Once found, this can be used as the calibration values.
    Isn't that the same approach the Martinez/Brugi Gimbal software works? Except that they do that at every power on of the gimbal and hence the fram has to be 100% static at that time?

The 6-axis calibration is more difficult as the most gimbals cannot turn 360° in all 3 axis. But then it would be interesting to know if that is really needed, if a 45° movement would not be enough to calculate the other axis coefficients.

I'd think that automating this could reduce a lot of time and trouble, especially for newbies.
  • From what I understand, this only has to be done one time. I did the 6 way calibration after the build and as I was installing the gimbal controller. After that, you should not have to do this calibration again.
  • Except if some one presses the ACC calibration as that destroys the 6 point calibration... or the sensor is moved a bit...

Some questions I have recarding the 6 point calibration:

1. If only 1 point calibration is done, how much worse is that that the 6 point calibration performed correctly

2. How accurate the 6 point calibration needs to be to be useful. I guess if not accurately enough performed it can make things worse.

3. does all 6 points need to be calibrated? if only 3 points are calibrated will it use that

and couple of request: please provide better feedback on the GUI during the calibration (any feedback would be better than the current) and please put this to a separate maintenance tab that can be locked (from person that is renting the equipment)

also maybe it would be better that there is separate buttons for 1 point and 6 point calibrations. 6 point calibration would calibrate the orientation of each IMU axis to each other. 1 or 2 point calibration would correct installation errors on all axis after IMU is installed on its place (maybe the different offsets calibrations already kind of do this?)

Ps. Automatic calibration would be nice but I do not see how that could be done. There is no accurate feedback of the gimbal orientation other than IMU. (would micro steeping be accurate enough to count that the gimbal has rotated 90.0 degrees?)

But maybe a test that would put the gimbal to all 6 position (or as many positions as the gimbal allows) to test how successfully it is calibrated.