EN CN
2 axis gimbal in underwater housing
  • Hello everyone! A bit new to this space, I’m an underwater cameraman and I’m trying to either hire someone to create a 2 axis gimbal for me or dive into the deep end and attempt it myself if no one is available. Essentially, I’m trying to make something like the front mounted gremsy 2 axis T3V3 but I want to cut off about 50mm from the width dimension. I’ll be using the zcam E2 as the onboard camera, it weighs about 757g and the heaviest lens to put on is about 320g. The zcam dimensions are roughly 92mm x 99mm x 89mm. I could make the T3V3 work but I would have to use a larger underwater housing system which adds a lot of drag, every little bit I can shave off the system will make a huge difference. The final application will be to mount the system on a pole attached to a boat to then track alongside whales for a show for Disney+. I could go with a fixed camera system but the roll and pitch stabilization will allow us to work in less than perfect sea conditions and still get a good shot. If it was possible to have tethered gimbal control, that’d be fantastic as well. There are multiple pass through/bulkhead ports on the housing so I can run wires into the system but just need to figure out if there’s a common cable type for wired gimbal control. The cable doesn’t need to be long, 10m or so at most as I’ll be near the system in the boat most of the time.

I think that’s the main idea, let me know if I can answer any more questions and I’d greatly appreciate any assistance! Also reach out if this sounds like a project you’d be able to undertake, like I mentioned, I’d probably prefer to hire someone as my knowledge base on this subject is pretty rudimentary but I’ll give it a go if need be.