EN CN
Correct motor sizing for Canon 6D
  • Hi all.

I am new to this but I am hoping to build a single hand gimbal, similar to the 'traveller gimbal' on Alex Mos' youtube, but capable of holding a larger camera.

I need to support a Canon 6D with a range of lenses (1.5-2kg). Also, as the construction will be asymmetrical (like the traveller gimbal or the DJI ronin) there would be quite a moment load through each motor so I guess the motor bearings would need to be reasonably solid.

I've done a little bit of research and it seems like the GBM5010 or GBM5108 or the GB4310 might do the job? There are so many different motors out there so I'm a bit lost.
    As I mentioned, this is my first build so I don't want to go overboard, but it seems like you can get a significant increase in performance if you use encoders and I like the idea of not needing a second IMU so is it worth considering this too? I'm assuming there are some good motors out there with inbuilt encoders or is it best to integrate them yourself?

I've been looking at the following:

GBM5108
    https://www.iflight-rc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=186

GBM5010 with AS5600 encoder
    http://shop.smc-powers.com/GB5010-Encoder.html?limit=50

GB4310 with AS5048A encoder
    https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32698444967.html

Another question I have is which controller should I use? I would like to use the tiny as it would be easier to package inside my frame (I'm hoping to make it as streamlined as possible) however I noticed the maximum motor output current is 1A rather than the 1.5A on the standard controller. Does the Tiny support motors as large as the 5010 or 5018?

Thanks in advance!
  • Thanks for the reply. But what's wrong with the GB4310? It looks to me like it sits in between the 4108 and the 5208.
    Surely if the 4108 is OK for 1.5kg-2kg then the 4310 with more windings (and more torque) is also OK? Furthermore, it produces almost as much torque as the 5208, is more compact and has higher pole count. Can you please explain your recommendation?

Also do you have any idea if the tiny supports any of these motors?

• yes tiny pro is enough to drive the pm5208 motors ! you looking for balance between waight and power of the motor and at what operating voltage! this type of motor 5208 works well at 14v and ok at 12v for up to 15lb other motors are not widely used as 5208 they are often less powerful for same waight!
  • Thanks again for the reply. Have to say though, I can't see how that excludes the PM4310. It produces basically the same torque at the same voltage as the 5208 (200mN.m v 210mN.m @ 14.8V) and is in fact lighter and more compact. So I don't understand your logic here. Furthermore, I saw a comment of yours on a different thread when you actually stated:

"this motor PM4310 is the same as PM5208 motors bell hosing little smaller stator is the same spec the same".

So the way I understand it is it will require slightly more current to produce the same amount of torque (kt is 0.145 for the 4310 and 0.17 for the 5208) so it will consume slightly more power at a given torque. However, if you then scale the torque constant by weight then the 4310 actually wins (Kt/m = 1.28 to 1.23).

Either way it seems like I'm splitting hairs here. I'm just going to go for it.
  • it is the same motor buddy smaller case! technically the same thing difference is waight, Resistance amount winding the issue is if your using 14v it matters little but if your using 12v there is a big difference in torque!
  • Sounds good. 14v is fine so I think I'll go for the smaller 4310's. Thanks for your advice :)