EN CN
Building A Follow Focus - Need some help with settings
  • Ive got a small machine shop and picked up some Basecam gear with intentions of building an ultra smooth and quiet bldc follow focus. I have gotten pretty far in the project but cant seem to figure out a few things within the software. I am completely new to this gui so forgive me if these are simple answers to my questions.

I am running a 3 axis basecam board with no sensors (IMU) connected wired to an analog stick input sensor mounted to my DJI Ronin handlebar using a 36pole gimbal motor (cant believe how much torque this thing has!).

my questions are:
    1.) The setup works perfectly fine configured to turn the motor in respect to the position of the analog input (not continuous motion, only get motor action when analog input changes) but once the input is stationary, I would like to cut power to the motor as the motor will hold its position with out any electrical assistance. Is this possible to configure? It is necessary to remove power or reduce power to the motor once the analog input has become one constant value for a period of time to conserve battery (draws 950ma to keep motor stiff in its position) and also the motor gets extremely hot! Once the input value changes, I would like it to then reapply power to move the motor rotor. Anyone know the settings to achieve this?

2.) Is there any way to limit the motors top speed without limiting travel? I need the motor to have a large range of motion but find with all of that extra motion if I dont keep a steady hand and control the input carefully, the motor will miss steps. I want to keep my range of motion which is currently about 1 full revolution, but, its not necessary to have all of the available speed! Also want to keep the low pass filter (LPF) set to 2 for better responsiveness of the input.

Any input would be appreciated! If anybody is interested I can post pictures of the rig for your viewing pleasure!

~Chris
  • That is quite far of the intended use of the BaseCam controller :) Did not even know it runs without an IMU.

Can not really help with the settings, I would just build the controller completely from the scratch and probably use encoders...
  • I was considering building something from scratch using the 8313 controller but it would be nice to use something that I dont have to completely engineer! Who has time for that amount of work!? My current config can use a large diameter ring magnet and a hall sensor to get me perfect positioning of the rotor but its not really necessary
  • The pictures would be nice.