EN CN
Looking for build advice for use on a Motorcycle.
  • Hello,

I would like to construct a single axis gopro gimbal (maybe 2 axis in the future), specifically to use on a motorcycle to compensate for roll and have a couple of questions.

1) Encoder, any benefits for single axis?
    2) Would there be any need for a frame IMU?
    3)I have in the past used a APM flight controller to meet my needs, would integrating a FC help maintain a more accurate "attitude"? I had issues with the FC until I added a GPS to counteract g-forces while turning that would cause the roll axis to drift/un-level, or can such things be tuned out with the control features available?

I plan on using a 32bit tiny pro controller from here https://aerialpixels.com/shop/gimbals/brushless-gimbal-controllers/alexmos-tiny-pro-32-bit-brushless-gimbal-controller/

With one of their brushless gimbal motors with encoder but unsure on the size. The choices being EC45EN, GB5020EN or GB5015EN.

I'm wondering if an over sized motor will be hard to tune? I say this as some of the mounting locations I would like to use it will be in very windy conditions, up to close to 200mph and would like the final product to be stable while pushing the brick shape of a gopro through the air.

Here is a video taken using the APM setup :

The forward facing camera was mounted using RAM ball mounts and had more movement due to the flexibility of the rubber balls, the rear mount was solid with no "soft" parts.

Just looking to make something that can easily move from bike to bike vs a FC integrated into the bike.

Thanks in advance!
  • Get a big motor with solid construction, the strongest you can find, pay attention to aerodynamical design.

With encoders it will recover better after disturbance and use much less power, motors will not over heat, and batteries last long. I have not tested 1 axis though.

There is a lot of lateral accelerations, and you will have interesting effects. You need to experiment with gyro trust. If FC could provide actual horizon that could help, but most of them get just as confused because of the lateral accelerations.
  • Thanks for the reply!

My FC setup was able to hold horizon quite well, what would be the proper way to interface the FC to the BGC?

If I do interface the FC, is there a function to define the gimbals orientation to the FC? I would imagine there would need to be different settings for forward facing vs. rearward facing?

Sounds like getting an encoder motor would be the ideal setup, so would the GB5015EN be the best bet or are there alternatives out there with better performance/reliability?

As I used servos for the FC setup, wind wasn't an issue due to the torque holding abilities of the servos, I am really un-familiar with what's available in the BG market when it comes to brands/models. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
  • OK, Well I got the prototype together using the GB5015EN motor.

I get through auto-tuning and it seems to be working OK, but when I enable the encoder and perform the encoder calibration function it does not behave at all, starts to drift on its own and vibrates a lot... Disabling the encoder makes it work correctly....

Am I missing something with the encoder setup process?
  • Have you activated the encoders, do you get the encoder data?