EN CN
Ok to pull an extra 340 mA from IMU 5V supply?
  • Hello, I want to power two 5V usb cameras using the 5V line that powers the IMUs. The board is the simpleBGC 32-bit, the DYS version with a plastic case and two IMU's...one IMU has two connections on it so the IMUs can be connected in series.

Each camera pulls 170 mA so it would be 340 mA additional current on that line. I realize the documentation says the board can provide 1 A to external devices...but is it ok to pull that power from the same lines that the IMUs use? Does everything use the same 5V bus on the board?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm running the IMU and camera wires through a slip ring, and running less wires will allow me to use a cheaper/smaller/lighter slip ring.
  • Using an ohmmeter it looks like the 5V line for the IMU shares the bus with the lines that are available for driving servos (RC-Pitch etc.) So I'm assuming its ok to pull that amperage from that line.
  • Sensor's power connection comes through the ferrite filter. According to documentation, filter's rated current is 100mA. http://ybex.com/d/ppfh48o9tmi0qpsqqd8yrbxg6fqrxmw2i03tsh0y.html
    But we tested it till 500 mA. Nothing happened. But pay attention: high current consumption may cause voltage dropout. Also, I2C error could appear.