EN CN
AVRDuder Caused Fuse Problem
  • Hey peeps! I am building a new quad for photography, and today hooked up my BCG without any problems. I was then made aware of new firmware, which I downloaded to a folder which (unbeknownst to me at the time) AVRDuder didn't have permission to access. I started the firmware update, AVRDuder erased the eeprom but then failed to flash the new firmware (due to the aforementioned permission issue). Since then, connecting to the board (8-bit) yields the same response: avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I've programmed a lot of Atmel 8-bit devices and know that this is generally due to the fuse bits on the device being set wrong. If this was an ATTiny84 I would simply use a HVSP circuit to reset the fuses, but before I go down that path do you have any other suggestions?
    The 328p in this form factor will be a pain to connect to so any help here is really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • To use the BaseCam FW, you need a BaseCam Board. With BaseCam boards the FW upgrade is easily done with GUI.
  • I thought my post was quite clear. I am using a BaseCam board. I don't want to use the GUI, I prefer to use avrdude because I do a lot of AVR programming already. This issue has nothing to do with the GUI, it was a failed FW update due to a bad architecture decision in Avrduder. Please read my post again. I don't want personal opinions, I'm looking for solutions.

Thank you
  • There was no personal opinions, and reading your post I do not understand the problem or reasons, the recovery flash works with GUI. But anyway, I hope you find your solution.
  • I'm sure it does work fine with the GUI, but I didn't use the GUI, I used AVRDuder. The GUI more than likely uses avrdude to flash the hardware, so the net effect would be the same.
  • I know nothing about AVRDuder, but did you try the recovery Flash with it.

1. Disconnect any power source, USB cable.
    2. Close (set) FLASH jumper on board (attach jumper to 2 pins marked as 'FLASH', shorting them)
    3. Connect board to PC by USB cable
    4. Run GUI, select COM port (but don't connect!) and go to "Upgrade firmware" - "Manual" tab
    DO NOT PRESS "CONNECT" IN THE GUI, IF JUMPER IS CLOSED! If pressed, you need to repeat all steps from the beginning.
    5. Choose firmware file (*.hex or *.bin format).
    6. Select board version:
    • v.3.x (32bit) through Virtual COM Port – for a regular 32bit board
    • v.3.x (32bit) through USB in DFU mode – for a “Tiny” 32bit version
    7. Press "FLASH" button and wait for process to be finished.
    8. Open (remove) FLASH jumper.
  • I did not try that. Thanks for the info, I'll try it when I get home this evening. Work is cramping my hobbies;)
  • Unfortunately this only works for the 32bit board. I will go the HVSP method.

Thanks for the help anyway.
  • @Garug

What do the flash pins connect to on the 32bit board? If I can find that out then I can possibly do a flash on the 8bit version.

Thanks
  • Someone with more info of the board should answer that, would be difficult to trace the flash pins to the processor pins.