EN CN
what can you drive with an L6234D?
  • hello all, first post on this forum, thank you in advance for your help.

i have just taken delivery of a bgc http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251600200881?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT with the hope of building a gimbal for a dslr. it did occur to me however that at 5 amps maximum current rating, those L6234D chips might not be able to cope with the slightly larger motors that a dslr gimbal requires. i've been looking at things like the GBM5210-200t and GBM6208H-150t (i err on the side of stuff that is rated much higher than the intended mass as i believe in electrical and mechanical headroom) but am not quite sure how to go about calculating the maximum current draw.

the plan is to use a 4s power supply, so is the maximum current just a function of that supply voltage and the dc resistance of the motor windings? so for the 6208 for example the resistance is given as 13.2 ohms, a 4s supply would be a nominal 14.8 volts, I=V/R, that gives you about 1 amp. now assuming that is per phase of the motor and it is wired in delta and not star, the overall maximum current would be 1 amp for one phase and 2 of .707 amp for the other phases... i think... call it 2.5 amps.

am i making sense to anyone here? does this seem correct?

how much can you pull through a L6234D before it requires a heat-sink?

thanks, regards james.