EN CN
looking for help
  • The design would be improved if you provide 2 support point for yaw and roll axis. i.e. additional bearing behind the roll motor and below yaw motor.

Also it looks nice when there is no wires, but much different when tere is. Pay attention to the wiring and maybe reconsider the board location.

Also different camera and lens setups maybe need better adjustability.
  • Thanks Garug. I am very new to this and maybe don't quite understand how the motors work. most of the gimbals I have seen look like they use the motor as a bearing with no other support. also I may not continue with the printed parts and go for alloy bar construction for greater strength if I can find some plans to help me with the design. something similar to your construction in the tuning videos looks very clean and simple thanks again and all advice welcomed. Paul.
  • Gimbal motors do not usually have solid enough axis to support the weight alone. Also plastic may easily flex. all flex is bad. For that reason it is good to add additional support. On the above design the Pitch axis is supported from both sides. It would be good to have additional support also for the two other axis.

Building from aluminium gives a bit more freedom as it does not flex as much than plastic, but if one side support is used like on my videos, that requires special attention for the motor axis support.

3D printed DIY gimbal could be interesting for many I think, but the above design still needs some evolution. Best way is to start building and then improve.
  • i don't have any motors yet so not familiar with their construction wondering if the hollow shaft is independent of the motor or does it turn with one half of the motor and would supporting the hollow shaft give it enough strength
  • Hollow shaft is just simply a hole trough the shaft.
  • I would rather extend the bottom plate behind the roll motor. That would not take any space from the camera.

Also think about the wires and electronics place when designing it, rotate motors so that wire lengths are minimised.

Also consider the needed adjustability for balancing. you could use also counter weight for balancing.
  • interesting approach, i like your thinking
  • You may want to reconsider also the shape of the parts. the edges could be rounded and instead being solid they could be less weight support structure inside. Think about the bending tongues because of the camera weight on the construction, and make it more solid for that.

Also think about the gimbal moving and fingers. Not creating construction that could potentially hurt the user.
  • Hi Garug the main reason for the flat edges is because it is easier to print flat onto the hotbed for best adhesion however top edges could be rounded. it would be printed in PLA with several outer layers and a honeycomb infill ..pla is very rigid and parts should be very lightweight I am heading back to the drawing board with all your suggestions taken on board and I have just ordered 3 DYS BGM5208-200 motors hope they will do the job, but no turning back now ps. the original opensam website where i first saw this is here http://www.opensam.net/ if you have not already seen it