EN CN
Pitch axis motor problem
  • I have problems getting working PID values for pitch axis. The motor ticks erratically between the poles, no matter if I have high or low PID. Also the motor does not get hot, even if I crank up power to 255 and at maximum P. Roll and Yaw axis work fine. The motor auto tune finds crazy values for poles, so I always set it manually to 22.

I also get repeated "serial data corrupted" errors, also on cables that worked fine before.

I work with iPower GBM5108-120T motors on Pitch and Roll Axis, and and iPower GBM5108-150T on Yaw with a Panasonic GH4. The Balance is 95% good, not 100% perfect by I was working fine with that balance for over 1 year. I had problems getting a different camera to work on this gimbal and since then I try to make it work again in my old setup. I bought a new official 32 bit board and also changed IMUs. Firmware is upgraded to 2.60b4 on board and GUI.

Is there any way of checking the motors? Or any other explanation?

Thanks
  • Addition: When I try to PID auto tune I get the error : emergency stop, tuning interrupted, risk of damage. Also only this motor finds incorrect number of poles when autotuned , the other two motors are correct.
  • Measure the motors with ohm meter, disconnect from board first. the resistance should be the same between all 3 pins. (do not move motor when measuring) measure also that non of the 3 pins has no connection to motor metal parts.
  • Thanks Garug,

this seems to be the problem. I can measure a resistance between the middle and 1 outside pole, but nothing between middle and the other outside pole. I guess this means the motor is dead and has to replaced, or is there any way to repair this?

thanks a lot again!
  • You could open the motor and see, nothing to loose on that if you have to replace it anyway. If you find a broken wire you can possibly fix it, but it requires soldering skills.
  • Thanks,
    I did open it, but could not get to the cables. The stator sits very firm on the housing and the cables go in underneath, so I can´t see if anything is loose. Too bad, soldering wouldn´t be a problem. Do you know how to move the stator of the housing?
  • It can not be removed. Look the soldering joints, most likely at the connector, but there is other point also where 3 cables are soldered together.
  • Thank you very much for your help! I can not get to the connection points, so ordered a new motor. Hope this solves the problem.
    And also thanks for your great tutorials, they are very helpful.
  • Thanks, it is good to hear you found them useful.