EN CN
4 axis hand held gimbal
  • do not see the point of this better use for the 4th access is slide left and right
  • Just for walking - In footage you see up down motion of steps. We need to find a way to eliminate that unwanted motion. I have a pair of inline skates I am going to dust off too.
  • Not on my gimbals sorry. I don´t see any up down motion on steps ;-)
  • Roller Blades? Dolly? Sitting in the back of an SUV? Or you have a very smooth locomotion kikojiu. Let's see?
  • This was shot handeheld, walking and running....

• I agree, not much of any up down. Your arms and legs must be very good at absorbing that. Even your talent's head is moving up and down when she walks....LOL. What's your technique?no post right?
  • No post...just gimbal setup. If the 3rd axis is very well balanced no up and down shakes. The deadband on the follow axis will absorb it. I realized P too high will make it too stiff. It is just like handheld filming, stiff arms shaky footage :-)
  • When I shoot in a vehicle it is so smooth. But hand held is a bit rougher, I should work on settings for tilt (pitch) to help counter the up down motion from human walking. Still, some mechanism to counter human locomotion would help. I have seen some shots on Steadicam with gimbals. The hand held Steadicams are amazing. We have a Steadicam Flyer with IsoElastic Arm and the gimbal is worse on that device. We are waiting on an EasyRig Mini...I think that will help.
  • I'll post the results once we have it...Steadicam footage isn't worth looking at.
  • The problem you notice on your footage is due to the principle of action-reaction. The harder you step on the ground the harder you´ll "bounce" back. A lighter rig and a lighter person will have much less bumps...even running you´ll have to use the steadicam shopping principies and you´ll see how smooth it gets... :-)
  • Stabalizing the 4th axis this way would use a lot of current. I think there should be some counterweight, not only to bring back the power consumption, but also to make sure your motor can handle the weight.
  • I think it need to be worked on in some way perhaps the ultimate answer is using the rigs upside down with the yaw motor connected to a bearing on the Steadicam isoelastic arm mounting pin, then you have the gimbal CG on the pin, and the arm taking the up down away from the walking. But as Kikojiu said, the operator has a big impact, some people have more up down motion in their gait, like me.
  • To understand the motions involved and therefore absorb, counteract or just deal with them we can simply use Newton and a few other principles, a person walking for example is not simply 'bouncing', the kinetic energy of the camera is having to rapidly change direction (or accelerate), a body that is in motion at a constant speed but changes direction is accelerating, the motor can only counteract this acceleration if it's axis is aligned with the motion. We only have 3 axis, however there are a great deal of directions (or accelerations) to counteract, too many in reality. So the body can deal with some of them and the gimbal hopefully the rest. I understand dbeaty2 you are trying to counter one of the major motions which the gimbal has trouble dealing with, this stuff is definitely worth investigating now we have better technology.
  • Exactly, and Mr. Brown has done this with the Steadicam isoeleastic arm and patented it. So the problem is simply either using a passive system to counter act human locomotion, or an active system. Voltage requirements are so small it's not even worth worrying about. (Think e-aircraft that can fly full size 2 seaters for a couple hours now on one charge)...So it's a problem of designing a system that can stabilize the camera POV but ALSO stabilize the camera in 3D space up down, right, left. Now it is only rotation around a fixed point in space.