EN CN
virtual port not showing up
  • Seems like a strange thing to get stuck on.
    My setup was bought from came-TV - http://www.came-tv.com/came7000-3-axis-gimbal-dslr-video-stabilizer-p-471.html

I built the brushless gimbal hardware easily enough - (not yet balanced but I'll get to that)

Problem is I can't seem to talk to the board - at all...

I install the CP2102 drivers (latest ones from silabs.com and connect the USB cable) – and there are no virtual ports installed.
    In other words – when I run the SimpleBGC software (latest 2.40) I cannot connect to the board

I’ve tried all combinations (with and without the daughter board, with and without battery connections simultaneous with mini-USB) and same thing.

So I thought maybe my PC was at fault - tried on three different PC’s – same thing.

btw the board has power (lights up initially with SOLID red, then moments later rapidly flashing green - the solid red stays on) - but the computer can't see it...

Anyone got any thoughts if the board might be dead or not?
  • Can you tell us what error did you get? Did you have a pop up that says GUI and version different? If yes, try 2.2 or 2.3 GUI. if it works with 2.2 or 2.3, then use XLoader to flash the new firmware.
  • yes I can. however I not get any error at all.
    Basically if I launch SimpleBGC v2.40b7 (or v2.2b2)

there is nothing listed on the PORTS pulldown menu.

I have installed CP210x_VCP_Windows (and running the installer - it informs me the CP210x USB to UART bridge drivers were successfully installed and silabenm Ports (10/18/2013 6.6.1.0)

Tried running SimpleBGC again - no dice. Never anything on the pulldown menu for ports.

Tried downloading Xloader - same thing - nothing listed on the ports pulldown menu.
    Btw same thing happened on another PC I tried (both of them running win 7 64-bit) and on another Macbook Pro (running OS X 10.9)

This is quite strange.
    Because I would have imagined the ports should be "visible" to the O/S even without the board functioning correctly.

in other words

DEAD BOARD should not EQUAL - DEAD port

In this case I am very confused...especially since three computers exhibit the same problem.

FYI (this might seem like a stupid question - but I presume I should use the 8bit version of software (that's what I am currently using - although I tried 32bit also - same result)
  • btw - this is my board - http://www.rctimer.com/syssite/home/shop/1/pictures/productsimg/big/963.jpg
    it's listed as "AlexMos 3-Axis 3.0 Version Brushless Gimbal Controller" but this picture is exactly what it looks like. I bought it from CAME-TV as stated previously.

Did a bit of digging around the forum - seems like a bunch of other people have had this problem before...so two questions for you

1. How do you decide if it's a dead board?
    2. If you decide it is a dead board - who replaces it? Basecam or CAME?
  • All the while do you have another board to test? If not from what you have mentioned, I feel the broad is dead.

You should contact CAME because I believe they are not in the list of the official distributors or sellers. This version u have shown me is not the official design I have seen in this website. It's better you contact CAME for a exchange
  • ok I will try to contact CAME
  • if your not seeing any virtual ports the the issue is not the board but your PC side, your board from your description sounds like its working fine, as mine does the same when connecting the USB plug to the board.

What is your operating system, and which version of the drivers are you using?
  • My operating system is Windows 7 64 bit (same on 3 windows PCs I tried) on Mac it was OS X 10.9. I mention this earlier in the thread.

I got the latest from http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx - I think that's 6.6.1
  • ok I'm running the same OS as you - does the device show up in device manager when you connect the gimbal to your PC?
  • in windows device manager you need to see this UART installed as in this screen capture https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qmj4cgd9zpn0ot/UART.PNG
  • I wish. unfortunately the COM port doesn't show up in the device manager. If It did I imagine it would show up in the BGC software also ;)

Just to be clear I did the following

1. Install drivers (for board)
    2. Connect board (observe flashing lights etc)
    3. Hope that I will now see a virtual port show up - but no dice.

I have no port listed at all. That's why I'm thinking the board might be dead.

IF it wasn't for the fact I tried three other computers I would assume something was wrong with my computer - but getting the same result on 2 other PCs and 2 other MAC would usually indicate either that the operator is a moron ;) (i.e. me) - or that there's something wrong with the board.
  • Sounds like broken board or bad USB cable. I would suggest using a short and good quality USB cable.

When you connect to PC, does it automatically start installing the drivers?
  • OMG I'm a complete moron.

;)

Thank you @Garug. It's a bad cable.
    In my defense (although I'm still a complete moron ;)) - I don't have many mini USB devices anymore (almost all are micro USB) so when I quickly tested it on an old external drive - as soon as the light came on - on the drive - I thought it was fine.

But I dug out another cable and it turns out that cable number one is faulty.

Board is good. panic over. Now I can go back to figuring out how to make it all work
  • I have noted that the AlexMos board seems to be somehow sensitive to the USB cable, The cable may work with HD but not necessary with AlexMos board?? Maybe it is about the USB cable shielding and similar problem than sometimes with I2C cables.

Anyway, now I always use short and good guilty cables when updating FW and Bluetooth otherwise.
  • Wow guys just replaced my cable and it worked, seems the socket on the board is not to good.
    Broke my IMU socket off in the process I'll have to fix it so I can move forward.
    Thanks Garug
  • try to run the software (SimpleBGC) or xloader or whatever as administrator. works for me!
  • d'ailleurs, en parlant de prise usb sensible, mon câble usb débranché du pc a touché le châssis aluminium support des moteurs avec la batterie sur on, ça a grillé le ship interface usb sur le board
  • je confirme le probleme de timgunn , mon ship interface qui a explosé, LE CABLE AUSSI........
    merci, au forum et Garug, qui suit bien nos petis problemes
  • I got the same problem either if using good USB cables, no way to see the virtual port in the scroll down menu of the proper GUI on my Mac...Most curios, I always see it if connecting a 32 bit version, but no way if connecting the previous 8 bit version (which works fine at all with same virtual port installed on PC). I would love to continue to use it with my Mac, as i already do with all my other 8 and 32 bit gimbal controllers, any idea why this trouble with my latest 8 bit controller? Thx!
  • I had a very similar issue - but one V3 board would mount on two different Macs using a particular (GoPro) USB cable, and another (new) V3 board would not mount on either client stack using this same (short/high quality) USB cable.

Tried everything, including building a new FTTDI and SiLabsUSB driver stack on another machine in case it was keys/permissions quirk from first gimbal.

Then tried another (identical) GoPro USB lead on the same client stack on each Mac - and it works..

I'll say that again: 'A specific USB cable *works with one V3 board - but not another*. An ~identical USB cable from the same source does not have this issue.'

I've seen this evil quirk with DJI supplied USB cables too. The FC will not mount unless you (eventually) use the supplied USB cable. That's just nuts, and defies the U in USB, but don't rule the USB cable out when things get weird.