EN CN
AllSteady 7 Accelerometer Calibration
  • I have an AllSteady 7, and it works great with smaller DSLR cameras, but I bought it to fly my Red Scarlet and other heavier cameras on it.

My question is for calibration: What are the exact steps to calibrate?

I was at Turbo Ace, and they were kind enough to show me how (Place the Gimbal on a flat surface was part of it) but I can not remember if I turn the Gimbal on first, second, at all, what I do with the motors etc.

If anyone can give me the simple walk through, that would be great.

Thanks!
  • It is really advised to read the users manual http://www.basecamelectronics.com/files/v3/SimpleBGC_32bit_manual_2_44_eng.pdf

It has a lot good info on it.

If you have 32 bit board I would advise after basic setup (motor directions, number of poles, power settings, sensor calibrations etc) are well performed. (should already be, if it works with DSLR cameras)

- Hold the gimbal in hand and perform Auto PID tuning with close to good stability settings (1/4 up) after this you should have reasonably well working settings.

- re do the Auto PID tuning one axis at the time, in order pitch, Roll, Yaw.

- If there is vibrations, see http://www.levitezer.com/styled-2/blog-2/files/archive-oct-2014.html

Follow settings etc affect also a lot how well the gimbal works. The best advise I can give is read the users manual carefully, use some time for tuning, take a test video, tune some more, follow speeds, acceleration limits etc.

Ps. I always start the gimbal in a profile that does not have follow activated, and skip the gyro calibration at startup. assign the gyro calibration to button and perform when needed. ACC needs to be well calibrated during the first setup, and should not be touched after. 6 point calibration is advised and if the gimbal is used in different temperatures, temperature calibration is good.
  • Hello Garug, thanks for the info.

I have kind of gotten it down, but unfortunately a crew used my Allsteady 7 and threw it off lol. Fun times huh?

Instead of holding Gimbal in hand, in your experience, will placing the prongs on a flat surface do the same?

Thanks for the input and help.
  • I am not sure what you mean "Instead of holding Gimbal in hand, in your experience, will placing the prongs on a flat surface do the same?"

When calibrating the gyro, the IMU/Gimbal must be still, it does not need to be flat. Steady floor is good.

for Accelerometer calibration the IMU/camera needs to be on right position. It is better to perform 6 point calibration. It is possible to perform the ACC calibration supporting the outer frame to floor etc and rotating camera by hand, but not advisable. it is better to have IMU separated from the gimbal and perform it accurately.

Note both IMUs need to be ACC calibrated separately .

Follow offset calibration is important too, for it handle needs to be leveled. (Encoder gimbals have some more calibrations.)

For PID tuning it is best to held the camera like it will be used.