EN CN
How to please: set pan always at 0° relative to frame in follow mode?
  • I'm using a 32 bit DYS controller on a pan/tilt gimbal system in a airplane using two IMU's, one obviously in the gimbal below the camera, the second above the yaw motor attached to the airframe. It all works really well with a joystick controlling pan and tilt so I can look in almost any direction. (I use follow mode 95% of the time while flying)

The problem I'm having with yaw/pan is that I need the camera to ALWAYS start and return to 0° (ie pointing straight forward) relative to the airframe. In non-follow mode, if the system is started with the gimbal at 0° and the airframe is not rotated then it always returns to 0°. In follow mode however the gimbal does not seem to reference the airframe IMU at all and will never use 0° as it's "center" point. And worse still, if disturbed it takes a new heading when it settles and that is it's new "center" point, which could be 90° or 180° or even 342° relative to the airframe.

So how on earth can I get the gimbal to ALWAYS without input point to 0° relative to the airframe in follow mode?
  • You need encoders; http://www.basecamelectronics.com/encoders/

This can also help, but encoders are better if you need 360 rotation http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2243241
  • The most easie way is to set the Yaw Follow Speed at Zero.
    This will hold the motor at his last position when you switch between Stabilize and Follow Mode.
    You always can correct the position with you radio.

I hope this will solve your problem, until there comes a new firmware including this option.
  • There is also the Home command, if the gimbal has not skipped poles, i.e. lost its absolute heading.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, I suspect what I need is not in the current firmware, if the two imu's referenced each other then I suspect this could be achieved. Apart from a noticeable delay in controlling follow-me mode it is working quite well at this stage.
  • See the follow mode settings, maybe the LPF is too high, there is also deadpand and expo.
  • I make sure the gimbal's yaw is in the close to zero deg heading position upon power-up. Once inicialized, fine tune the 0 deg heading with offset in Follow mode tab in GUI until the gimbal's heading is alligned with the frame heading. Than just before power up always move the gimbal manually to the close to forward direction and it should readjust automatically to 0 deg heading. Mine does....☺☺