EN CN
Brushless Gimbal Encoder
  • Hey all,

I am interested in using encoders in my Brushless Gimbal. I found some infos on the main basecamelectronics website, but for more information or ordering encoder I must have a company to take a bulk order. Isn't there an option for private use? Maybe someone here can share his experience with encoders. Looks like GARUG and some others here have them in use. Would be great to share some pictures and if there is generally an improvement by using them.

Regards, hexakopter
  • Yes, know that. But maybe there is also a PDB out for the encoders or someone can share pictures on mounting them or something like this. The only pictures I found were from AerialPictures.

Edit.: Also interesting what the FOC really bring's. Is it now possible to use a 5000er Motor instead of a 8000er? And a direct torque comparison from the same motor whith using the encoder and without is also very interesting. And I can't find anything about these things.
  • This gimbal was consuming about 1.5 A constantly without encoders and with encoders on normal operation less than 200 mA (no kidding) and max 3 A when all axis are fully disturbed.

Without encoders the motors where getting warm, with encoders they are totally cool, so they could provide even more power, and they already provide much more than needed for GH4, speed booster and big EF objectives (this gimbal provided more than enough power already without encoders).

But yes, with encoders you could use much smaller motors, the max tongue is more limited by the max tongue the motor can provide with the used voltage, not by motor temperature as without encoders.
  • Hey Gerug,

thanks for your answers. Looks amazing. You got the Motors with encoders or just the encoder with/without PCB? What Motors are you using? You see any chance to use encoders with sliprings? Thanks for your effort.

Regards, hexakopter
  • Yaw axis is the only that could possibly need encoder in my opinion. It would be very difficult to use slip rings with encoders, either the slip ring or encoder or both would need to be specially made for that.

I build the encoder gimbal long time ago using 5048 with PCB.

The gimbal is with GB90 and GB85 motors. You will not need these with encoders unless the camera/lens is huge.