EN CN
#boldgimbal - new gimbal for dslr
  • Hey guys!
    We currently started selling #boldgimbal. It's suitable for GH4, pocket, mark, d800. We started with 8 bit controller, but sooner the 32 bit version will be added.
    http://share.pho.to/7JLjZ
    http://postimg.org/image/udcb7k5b7/

Main features:
    1) 2 19mm support bearings for yaw; 2 13mm support bearing for roll; and 1 10mm support bearing for pitch.
    2) removable "hands" to fit in backpack
    3) easy to balance - 2 nuts for pitch and yaw; 1 nut for roll
    4) toolfree
    5) 10 1/4 holes for accessories
    6) battery indicator and bluetooth

Here is the small review in russian

I feel like i am still missing a point in tuning. Can't improve it - it's an average less than 0.05 degree when normal walking.
    I cant follow the tuning guide - because for yaw and roll i can't approach the high frequncy occilation edge - so i can raise d value to max for small 600g camera. I tried low power - high values, normal power - normal and high values. Eventually i feel like these set are the most smooth: highsensitive, lpf 2, gyro 120,
    r 49 1 38 150
    p 20 1 12 70
    y 49 1 26 190
    Here is video:

There are still some small vibrations - can't get rid of them. Will 32 bit solve these probs or there some space for tuning?
    P.S. The construction of the gimbal is really solid

Any thoughts:?
  • That gimbal looks ok and I think good results can be archived with it. 32 bit board filtering options will probably help with the vibrations, but filtering takes some time to get used to.

Ps. That gimbal however by my definition is not really solid. The weak point I can spot is the roll motor attachment (on the camera side of the gimbal construction) This will cause flex bot arms down and especially one arm up one down kind of roll flex if force is applied different directions on left and right side of the arms at the pitch axis. (i.e. pitch motor up and the other side down.) Vibrations only take less than 1 mm flex under reasonable loads. Shorter arms between Roll and Pitch motors would make this gimbal much more solid.
  • Thank you for response Garug!

I still haven't tested 32 bit really close. What's your opinion: is there really so much difference in stabilization quality between 8 and 32 (except critical angles) and with proper sets 32 greatly outperforms 8?

P.S. We made software stress test - when the center of the roll frame is fixated by nut and at the ends of roll frame arms the 20kg load is aplied on each side (up on the one side and down on the other side) - so its "40 kg difference" - the displacement was about 0.7mm on each side if center of the frame is zero point.
  • The 32 bit board is faster (the gimbal can be moved faster without loosing control) 2 IMUs provide better recovery. On the first 32 bit board FW there was not much other differences to 8 bit. However the 32 bit FW has evolved since and 8 bit has not. The most noticeable differences are the filtering and auto tuning.
  • We implemented 32 bit version.
    All pids are autotuned. (pitch autotune -> roll autotune -> yaw autotune -> pitch again autotune from prev values)
    No filters are applied
    No post or lens stabilization

I didn't believed that but 32bit consumes steps much better than 8 bit. The thing that frustrates me - that even for autotune better stability option the pids are still really near to high freq occilations.

• The filters help to the vibrations http://levitezer.com/styled-2/blog-2/index.html

But often it is good to lower the PID from the auto tune results.
  • yeah, thank you Garug.
    I mean it is still complicated to tune for ppl who are far away from that area - most of them won't tweak filters. And movi and ronin are still ahead with their autotune.