EN CN
position feedback on motors
  • I have a Beholder brushless gopro gimbal, and I'm interested in getting position feedback (i.e., the angles of rotation) from the hercules motors that are included with the gimbal. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to do this? I'm thinking I should probably go with encoders, but the motor shaft doesn't stick out very far at all (about 1mm), and, as of now, I haven't been able to find any encoders that can accommodate this (but maybe I'm not looking hard enough :) ) The diameter of the motor shaft is 3mm. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
  • For what purpose you plan to use that info? Maybe accurate enough info would be available over the serial protocol.
  • I want to use it to compare to angles that I've retrieved from the video footage (through trigonometry/geometry), so I'm not sure the serial protocol will cut it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • I would look into something like this.
    http://www1.futureelectronics.com/doc/AUSTRIAMICROSYSTEMS/AS5046.pdf

What you are trying to do is not an easy challenge, one big problem is getting accurate enough attitude of the platform.