EN CN
32bit Yaw Problems
  • Hi all,
    I'm just not sure what i'm doing wrong!
    I Just upgraded to the 32bit board and a bigger yaw motor (8108 90T). Had a some major problems tuning the pitch and roll, the physical pitch and roll outputs from the board seem to be swapped. Swapping the physical motor outputs fixed the problem but that doesn't seem right. Anyway, the pitch and roll are working correctly and I'm trying to tune the yaw but it just acts randomly no matter what PID settings are entered. I'm pretty sure all the hardware is set up correctly and the pitch, roll and yaw dials in the GUI correlate with what's happening to the IMU.
    As a test I hooked up the yaw motor to the pitch output and rotated the pitch axis, the yaw motor seemed to behave more coherently and responded to the input but will not do so from the yaw output.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • There were some early boards that were marked incorrectly. This is the correct lay out for all boards.

http://static.squarespace.com/static/530fa089e4b0aa956285a776/t/53504c71e4b0d23446a5d171/1397771389052/B32boardAndIMU?format=750w
  • Also, do not expect the tuning process to be simple. Some users are able to tune their gimbals more easily than others, even using the same rigs, or cameras. Some users have not been able to tune their gimbals to make them useable at all, even after days of tuning, myself included. Part of the problem is that there are so many variables, that it makes sharing settings and offering advice almost useless at times. Don't get me wrong, some advice is very helpful, there is an order to tuning that will make it less frustrating, and if you find a rig that is very similar, gimbal, motors, controller, firmware, and camera, sharing pid settings and the like is a good starting point. We need patience, and as more users add input here and get their rigs working correctly, and hopefully share that process, this will get easier for the rest of us.
  • Thanks for the reply.
    This confirms that the pitch and roll outputs on my board are labeled incorrectly and are swapped.
    Unfortunately it doesn't solve my yaw problems.
  • Yeah I know it can be difficult to tune these things. It's just that I can't seem to even get close with the yaw axis even after many hours of trying. I'm not sure where to go from here.
  • OK, so I solved the problem.
    I have a small handle to carry the gymbal, it's handheld. The handle does not have enough weight or mechanical advantage to resist against the larger yaw motor and so was feeding back oscillations. I clamped a heavy set of vice-grips to the handle and problem solved. Vice-grips... is there nothing they can't do?
    Anyway, rookie mistake.
    Thanks for your input Soulpatchfilms.

• What gimbal are you using?
  • Built it myself.