EN CN
Is it possible to restore SimpleBGC after playing with custom firmware?
  • I've got a genuine Basecam controller board; I'd like to try writing some custom firmware to have the gimbal do different things.

If I upload my own concoctions to the board to play with (using ICSP and a programmer), will I be able to restore SimpleBGC later?

In other words, if I change the bootloader, does that lock me out of ever using SimpleBGC on the board again? Or can I burn the SimpleBGC bootloader back onto the chip again (like when you prepare a brand new Atmega chip for use with the Arduino IDE?)
  • To explain, the reason I want to play with the software is so I can try pre-programming moves for the gimbal. Adding a joystick transforms the SimpleBGC + gimbal into a remote head; adding encoders and a little software should mean I can do motion-controlled shots.

But I don't want to replace the firmware if I can't get SimpleBGC back! Can't afford another controller board at the moment.
  • I flashed to a previous firmware one time using the COM port utilities and 2.2b which cannot be flashed from SimpleBGC UI, and it was very difficult to get the board to work. I had to reflash about 4-5 times until finally the lights came back to normal and I could connect.