EN CN
Sudden gimbal freakout!
  • Hi there guys!

A few days ago I got my first gimbal and it was great... was..
    I did two amazing flights but when I went outside for my third fligth the gimbal suddenly freaked out, it is now twitching like crazy!
    More in detail: It's contantly rotating on roll and pitch, never at a stop and the features of it hanging still when rotating my frame are completely gone.

After some Googling I found SimpleBGC's software and connected my board to my pc. By changing some of the Basic settings the twitching became a lot less, but it's far from what it was before the issue started. SimpleBGC says: "Accelerometer is not calibrated", followed by some instruction and press "CALIB_ACC". But when I do this nothing changes, it still says I need to calibrate (even after pressing WRITE).....

Also, on the right you can see a compass, ROLL and PITCH. The compass will always face N, PITCH and ROLL will always say 44.9 | 0.0 . They are both at a angle and the little blue arrow points to the right.

Realtime data shows a straight line on every ACC and GYRO. All at 0.

I am on firmware version 2.2 b2.

My gimbal is useless like this and I don't know what to do anymore...

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • First, you should consider updating to the latest version.

It seems that your acceleromoter got decalibrated for some reason.

Seach on YouTube or this forum to see how a 6-point calibration is done exactly. Just make sure you recalibrate it properly and mount it adequately on the gimbal (see manual).

Then retune PID/power for every axis as described in the manual or the forum to achieve the best stabilization/performance.
  • Hi OctoVisuals,

I tried upgrading the firmware to the latest version(2.40 b7) using Xloader but it failed and I'm still at 2.2 b2...

Since that didn't do it for me I tried the 6 point calibration shown in this video :

Without succes :(

My gimbal is even worse, now it wants to do loopt on the pitch axis.... constant backflips...

Any ideas?

• Two suggestions, if you haven't tried them.
    Make sure the motor wires are oriented correctly. The gimbal will work, and sometimes seem to work correctly, even with the wires plugged in wrong, but the gimbal will "freak out" after some time.
    Also make sure the the sensor orientation is correct.
  • Yeah, try what soulpatchfilms suggest, make sure all wirings are OK, and your gimbal is really balanced in all axes.

If physically it's good enough the firmware settings should be much easier to configure, and then achieve a great stabilization. But you should make sure that every setting is what it should be, in every tab.

Did you perform the 6-point calibration well? Follow the instructions and make sure you follow the steps and put the IMU in the right positions, and then mount it in different places to try which is best for you. It may be difficult if the gimbal doesn't stop, but... you could try stopping the motors temporarily. Make sure your IMU is placed just like it's configured in the GUI, or rather configure the GUI in the Basic tab as you have the IMU placed. A bad Z-Y-X setting could mess things up. Refer to the manual to know how it should be configured.

Is there any error or warning message on the GUI now?

Did you do a “correct” PID/power tuning? Follow this guide:

http://www.basecamelectronics.com/company/blog/show/?newsid=69

I can't think of anything else right now...
  • What do you mean by "Make sure the motor wires are oriented correctly."

My gimbal freaks out only when a 2nd IMU is attached and then not always just from time to time.
    How can I solve this?

Andy
  • Probably Communication errors, what does the GUI show?

Ferrites, protected IMU cables etc. Help
  • almost no I2C errors, just one every minute or so
  • You should get rid of all I2C errors. They gould get occationally worse when cables move etc. They could start the freaking out sequence. How was your gimbal working with one IMU? What kind of improvemet do you get with second IMU?
  • ok thx a lot! Ok now I rewired the 1st IMU and the Errors are gone. Now I try to tune the PIDs better and go flying.
    The 4 flights I made with the 2nd IMU were promising. In sharp turns and sweeps no more horizontal drift! I hope this is gonna be the solution!

Andy
  • By the way what is the difference between white I2C errors and the red ones?

Andy
  • Good question, I have always thought that it goes red if there is plenty of errors, but now I am not sure.
  • no it doesn't. I got once 19 White errors in one seconds and then for the next 15min no errors anymore.
    Red errors can be "heard" since the motors do some noise. White ones don't do that...
  • I have contacted the seller and he send me a new board, it now works fine.