EN CN
Roll vibrations...
  • Hi, mates.

Let's see if you can help me with my problem.

I have a customized Cinestar/MoVI M10 3-axis brushless gimbal (4114 motors, 3 S lipo battery) with AlexMos (SimpleBGC) that gets vibrations on the roll when it's windy, or when I speed up my octocopter too much. The vibrations are noticeable even when they go through my SteadyShot stabilized Sony camera.

I investigated everywhere about how to configure SimpleBGC and how to tune PID values and power for the best stabilization. I did hours and hours of testing, but my roll still suffers from some vibration/high-frequency oscillations from motion.

I would like to know exactly which parameters I must adjust, and how, to avoid those vibrations: high D, low D; high P, low P; high power, low power...? Can vibrations be stabilized or it's impossible if they reach IMU? If so, the brushless gimbal, or the SimpleBGC, isn't as good as I thought.

I'm still using 2.30b5 because I tried 2.40b7 twice and can't seem to tune it right, so I'm sticking with b5 for the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated. Best regards.
  • Is it the same issue you have?

• I doubt you will find as simple answer as raising or lovering D or something similar, because it simply depends of so many things.

Gimbal mechanics and vibration dampening are my suspect number one, but if those are ok it could also be the Power/PID/gyro sensitivity/ect.

I was tuning my handheld gimbal couple of days ago and tried something like this with good results. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28045237&postcount=9447 This could work also with your gimbal. I have not tried this yet with any smaller or airborne gimbal.
  • @Dronelab
    It's pretty similar, but my vibrations occur only when I speed up very much the octo and when there's turbulence because of high wind, and they're somewhat weaker.

@Garug
    I'm still trying to mess with PID/power and gyro sensivity, and I'll make some tests flying to see how the gimbal reacts now. Currently I have P = 50 and D = 50 with high gyro sensivity, and still don't get oscillations, so I hope the vibrations are solved at last with this “supertuning”. If not, I'll try yet another settings...

Nonetheless, I noticed that even with the power and the P value at the maximum, the roll seem to have a “range” between magnets or something when the roll can move pretty easily without any correction, although it seems to be much bigger when power and/or P are low... :S Shouldn't be totally tight and static, like pitch and yaw motors? Could be a bad motor? How do I know if the motor is not well?

Anyway, the gimbal/SimpleBGC should correct vibrations, or either it's pretty useless. I mean, if the vibrations reach the gimbal... There's nothing it can do, or it can correct them as I think it should? One of the main reasons to use a gimbal is to minimize vibrations, so...

It's curious, because with Photo Higher AV200 there were no vibrations, although it couldn't correct disturbances fast enough because of the servos...

Thanks a lot for the replies. I'll post something when I know more. Again, any help would be much appreciated.
  • 'I' is also important, especially on 2.4. On 2.3 it affected RC response, but I think other things too. What do you have on 'I'
    '
    It has been a while I have been tuning 2.3 but I think your D is too high, probably P too. On 2.4 at least idea is to get P high, D low with 'I' at small value (0.03) and then 'I' as high as possible. 2.3 is different on 'I'.

How is your gimbal acting if you test as per the link on my previous post?

• I tried every PID setting (low power, high power, low P, high P...) except for this one (high power, high P, high D), I still need to test it in flight.

I value on roll is usually 0.2-0.3. Tried less and more as well.

The thing is, my roll is pretty well stabilized, especially when power, P and D are high, but there's always those small vibrations that ruin some shots. They occur as I explain when there's much turbulence, like in windy conditions, too much speed, or getting the multicopter down too fast.

Should the roll be tightly blocked to correct vibrations (high power, high P) or somewhat loose to directly avoid them? I tried both and it's never as tight as pitch or yaw axis... I mean, it has a little range where it can move effortless without any motor reaction. I suspect that could be the source of the vibrations...

Anyway, I hope it's not a physical problem... That would be tough. My gimbal is like Cinestar but with brushless motors, and seems pretty solid... :S

I'll try these settings in flight when I'm able, and then I'll see what comes next.
  • "like in windy conditions, too much speed, or getting the multicopter down too fast." Any gimbal will fail on these conditions regardless of the PID settings, if it is too much. Vibration dampening and mechanical construction are the primary things to improve performance on these conditions.

How much difference are you seeing on the on flight videos depending of the PID settings?, I suppose you have always tested first 'handheld' that the settings work. Have you tried just well working PID combination (when holding the multicopter in hand) i.e. no high or low values, just simply normally tuned gimbal.

• Yes, I use the gimbal by hand as well, so I tried shaking it (heavily) and recording with the camera. More or less, the different PID/power settings give pretty much the same result, although the vibrations are more present in the video some times than others, and didn't try every PID/power setting. So I'm still learning which parameters are better for the problem.

In flight I tried with high power, low PID, medium power, medium PID (a little improvement), and now I'll try normal power, high PID (and high gyro sensivity enabled, even). And there's some little vibrations when there's some notable wind and/or I push acceleration high (any direction, especially down), and more notably when I stop violently the multicopter.

The gimbal is easily shaken, I mean it's not rock solid or totally steady in all axis, but I thought the motor and the configuration could correct the vibrations, at least the majority. If they are not corrected completely, I'll resign to achieve good stabilization in nonextreme situations - that is very easy, but I want to improve stability in extreme situations as well... Maybe I'm just too perfectionist, but I don't lose anything, but probably gain something, so...

I think the vibration comes from the roll axis itself when it's violently shaken, not from the octocopter. I hope I can make if not a perfect stabilization in all situations, at least a very good stabilization even in extreme ones. I usually don't have to fly on extreme conditions, but sometimes I do, so it would be nice if I could use all the shots in their wholeness.

And if I'm lucky and can solve the issue I'll explain how I did it in case it could help others.

Thanks again for the replies. It's really appreciated.
  • I tried finally in flight the gimbal with the P = 50, D = 50, high gyro sensitivity (sorry for writing the word badly before).

Still some vibrations, although some less perhaps, and only when going backwards (gimbal facing forward) and sideways, especially with high speed and/or strong wind.

I noticed now the vibrations are slightly more high-frequency.

I'll try doing what Garug explain in the link, and maybe I'll try to low the D parameter, I hope that will do the trick for me. I usually look at the graps when tuning, but didn't know how exactly to interpret the lines, except maybe for the flat line meaning no vibrations when idle. The lines usually are not so much straight, maybe too much P or too little D... Anyway, I'll give it another shot.

I'll comment something more when I'll be able. Best regards.
  • I'm starting to lose hope...

I tried every PID/power setting and the roll seems pretty stable. But in flight, there's always vibrations.

I can't seem to reproduce flight conditions moving the gimbal or shaking it, or shaking the octo, so I still don't know what causes the vibrations...

This makes me sad... and angry.

If even with P and D at 50, power almost at the maximum and high gyro sensitivity on the axis doesn't shake and doesn't correct vibrations, could it be that the motor can't give enough torque? I can't install bigger motors in the gimbal anyway, but it's just curiosity about if larger motors can give more torque or it's just a voltage issue.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated...
  • I'm trying to reproduce the situations where the roll shakes without the need of going in flight, since I can't fly the octo every day.

At first I thought the vibrations could be the result of a little stiffness from the yaw axis, that could transfer vibrations to the other axes, or some yaw motor vibrations in some moments. But while all that can cause some vibration, I then recalled that when I used the gimbal by hand, in the land, in some movements the vibration was also happening because of some of my steps, the less smooth ones (when I was tired, or passing some steps).

I also tried stabilization with the gimbal turned off (not in flight yet), and the vibrations are much less, but of course the roll loses horizon quickly.

So it must be something about the settings, not a physical/mechanical thing (I hope), nor a multicopter issue (no vibrations with the old gimbal AV200).

I finally updated to 2.40 b7 for good, and using patience and knowledge I think I've achieved a good tuning, looking at the realtime data and testing the movements. It wasn't so hard to get it right, and this version seems a little more stable, maybe. Now I'll like to try these settings in flight.

Another question for you, guys: Can a wrongly calibrated accelerometer cause vibrations? I think that's not what happens, but maybe I should start thinking about redoing the 6-point recalibration... But it's so complicated. :/

So I'm glad I'm closer and closer to the solution. When I'll solve the issue, I'll be very happy!
  • Octovisuals, I hope to see some videos :)
    Our situation is quite improved. We still have to work a little to find if we can proceed even further. We follow the forum instructions and we tried to find the right center of gravity of the camera.
    This is the result:

http://youtu.be/ny4KlsVhzrI
  • @Dronelab We have a few videos on YouTube and linked to our webpage, although the parts with vibrations are cut, obviously. Fortunately, the vibrations only occur in some extreme situations and most takes can be used perfectly. :)

So I tried in flight with some other PIDs for roll (P = 22, D = 44), and it lacked some P since it couldn't hold the horizon/angle too well (in the realtime data the roll was doing really well, but...). I'll try with more P and less D and explain how it goes. I'm trying to figure if for my gimbal it's better more P than D, or more D than P, or both basically the same... It seems D shouldn't be as high as P, for the moment.

I was wondering if someone could tell me... If the gimbal battery is at one side of the roll and the motor is at the other side, with the camera well balanced, could the weight of the sides (battery and motor) make more inertia than the usual and be causing the vibrations, or at least making them worse? There's not much space to put the battery on another place, but if you think it's possible that could be possible, I could try it and move the camera more on the contrary side of the motor to see if it balances well enough and the roll gets less vibrations in extreme movement.

It's weird, because tilt seems pretty stiff on most settings, while roll isn't as hard even with power at the maximum, P = 50 and high gyro sensitivity... Could be needing a more powerful motor? It's too bad, because a bigger one wouldn't fit inside the part that holds the motor... I'm using RCTimer 4114 brushless motors with 22 poles for a camera weight of around 700 g, with a 3 S lipo battery...

Best regards.
  • Tried high P, low D in flight, still some vibrations in extreme situations, although some less.

I'll try high P, 0 D next since it seems my gimbal doesn't need any D because even with high P it doesn't self-oscillates.

Anyway, as always, any help would be appreciated.
  • Hi @Octovisuals
    I have the same problembut it feels like that the shaking on the roll is less when the voltage of the lipo is not full powered. So maybe try to lower the Power value if you haven't already.
  • @ZEBRAWORKZ
    Thank you very much for the reply.

I tried almost every PID/power tuning: low D, high P, low power, medium power, high power, high P, low D... And some settings are better than the others, but the little oscillating is still present in some extreme situations.

I did the 6-point IMU calibration, still the same. I made sure the gimbal arms are parallel (tilt wasn't) and all screws are tight, and I'm still testing. The part that holds the camera was wrongly placed by the vendor and the camera was about to fall, I know how lucky I was it didn't fall.

Anyway, I realized that when I tap the camera or the tilt axis, all roll axis and tilt together keep shaking/bouncing slightly for a few miliseconds.

I also noticed that the roll can be moved by hand by some little range, because the parts that join the roll with the rest of the gimbal are somewhat too flexible (plastic and carbon fiber). I don't know if that can be the cause, but it should only affect pan, not roll... :S

If I put the gimbal on the floor a little roughly, the video also does the vibrations for a little while. Does your gimbal do the same, guys? This happens with every PID/power settings, although some are worse than the others.

So I'm still wondering if it's a mechanical/physical problem or what.

The gimbal is pretty fast and stable, but I don't like that shaking at all, and can ruin some parts of the video. And the gimbal wasn't cheap, either, so it makes me angry it does those things...

I'm still searching, but as always, any help would be appreciated.
  • Someone solved the problem?
    It also occurs in handheld gimbals at extreme movements..
  • How many poles your motors have?
  • @GregorPQ There are so many possible setting combinations I'm still testing and trying to achieve the level of stabilization I wish to achieve someday without spending like 10 000 € in a brand brushless gimbal. I think that's what I'll end up doing if this still doesn't get better soon already, though. I think the roll oscillations, and some other little horizontal vibrations (when not using a gyrostabilized lens), are caused by a combination of factors, some of them mechanical, so...

@austin32 All three have 22 poles.
  • @Octovisuals, do you have 32 bit board with 2 IMUs? what FW?

How is the vibration dampening? it could be part of the problem, how well are the motors/propellers balanced.

How strong are the motors? maybe they are just not powerful enough to hold it in the wind.

Could you provide some pictures of the gimbal/installation.

Ps. Here is a bit different testing http://www.levitezer.com/styled-2/blog-2/index.html , when the gimbal and motors are strong it can take supricingly lot shakes. (though driving on field with the very simple vibration dampening was a bit too much. ;-)

• @Garug Hi, Garug, thank you so much again for the reply. It's really encouraging to see that someone is always ready to help...

My board is 8-bit with just one IMU attached with screws to the horizontal pitch boom. Firmware is 2.4 b7.

Vibration is pretty damped through several carbon fiber booms and plastic and rubber pieces. They are not very stiff, though, I still am wondering if they flex too much sometimes.

For what I tested so far, I think the motors are just strong enough for my GH4 with a pancake lens. They are RCTimer 4114, 3 S lipo battery. They seem to hold well with a power of around 200.

I think I'm beginning to see that all my roll problems are PID related. Starting with power at 200 and I at 0.01, which seem to be the correct values for both parameters, I realized I used to set P too high, and also D. I think the problem is P, though, since low values seem to not cause the infamous roll oscillations. The problem is, I need to find the exact balance between a too low P with too much movement in roll, and a too high P with roll oscillations. That “perfect value” is killing me (someday I'll like to try Autotuning... :P). In order to discover this exact value, I must go outdoors to fly (since the gimbal behaviour is different on the table and in flight), and that requires time. So I'm still testing, and I hope I find the best parameters for the stabilization I want (without using OIS lenses, or stabilization software).

I was just wondering, how do you guys tune your PIDs and find the correct values? Tap with the finger the axis, move the gimbal handheld and aggressively, just looking at the realtime tab and blue numbers...

Because in the official guide it says: “Slowly increase gain factor "P". At occurrence of oscillations increase factor "D" (it is responsible for the damping of vibrations) in small increments until the oscillations have gone”, but I don't get any oscillations or weird behaviour with my gimbal, if it's still, even using P 50, D 50 and Gyro high sensitivity (which I normally don't use). So how can I know P and D are right before I go to fly? I tried everything and the only way I found is just go to fly... No tap with the finger, no graph can emulate what my gimbal really behaves when in flight.

Nice testing video. One must have time, knowledge and patience to tune manually these brushless gimbals... :D

Best regards.
  • I did a lot manual tuning when the auto tuning was not available and good quite good doing it but now days I rely mostly for auto tuning.

Note: auto tuning will not solve gimbal mechanical problems, the gimbal needs to be mechanically good for auto tuning to work.

How your gimbal is behaving suggest that there is something else wrong too than the PID tuning. If you lift one side of the roll cage a press the other side how much does it flex? this is a typical problem causing difficulties tuning the gimbal.

When manual tuning, follow the real time display how the is acting when taping and moving the gimbal, move it also with RC/Joystick if you will use that. Quickly you will learn what affects what. Tune the gimbal on position where it has most problems (but not outside the normally used positions)

If the gimbal is well tuned for handheld use it will work as well on aerial use as it can, if the vibration dampening is ok. Ok, there could be some need to lower PID and raise gain, because wind loads, turbulence etc. But as basic rule, just tune it so it works well when you hold the multicopter in hand.

Depending if the multicopter/gimbal construction it can however be important how the multicopter is held during tuning. best to hold it from the multicopter arms, or at least to place something soft. If the battery goes abve vibration dampers it is important to have battery on place (but not electrically connected to multicopter) when tuning. Over all it is best to have everything mechanically on flying condition when tuning.

Note: sometimes vibrations etc. tuning problems can be also because IMU is not well calibrated. It is also surprising that gimbal can work if motor inverted status is wrong, but not well. The only recommended way to set the Inverted status correct is by auto. Set the motor poles manually after. So the basic setup is super important to be performed well. Other way huge amount of time can be used for unsuccessful gimbal tuning, been there, done that.
  • Hi Octovisuals,

did you manage to work this out? I'm having very similar issue. Inside while tuning my gimbal is working just great but every time I go to the field I can't stop thinking that something completely different is attached to my hexacopter. It's losing horizon, shaking on all axes and time to time going completely crazy. This is happening in windy weather .. although 5m/s is not a wind I would expect to destroy my footage so badly.
    I went through lot's of auto tuning (with some manual tuning after all) but I ended up with same result in the end. I guess I will now try some manual work - hope it will work better.
    Btw. I'm using v3 board, 2.43 b9 SimpleBGC and this gimbal:
    http://quadframe.com/collections/frontpage/products/medium-size-bldc-gimbal-v2
    and these motors for roll and pitch:
    http://quadframe.com/products/bldc-motor-5010
    yaw motor is bit bigger
    http://quadframe.com/collections/frontpage/products/bldc-motor-gbm5208-024-200t

everything is balanced perfectly ... but maybe these motors are not giving me enough power to keep nex5 camera stable in wind ?

Thanks a lot in advance
  • Hi, wzbart_pl. I'm still working on it, brushless gimbals are very sensitive and complex, and if they are not worked enough stability and performance are the first victims. I'm thinking for some months already my gimbal's occasional roll oscillations are the consequence of a couple of silly reasons, not just one (like bad PID/power values as I used to think at the beginning, but I tested many combination of values and the oscillations never go away completely). I think I'm starting to discover at last those sources of the problem, and I'm currently testing further to see if I can finally make my gimbal work perfectly.

What drives me crazy is I can set ANY value to PID/power to roll, and it seems to work fine when the camera is horizontal. No obvious presence of oscillations at all, as hinted on the official guide (http://www.basecamelectronics.com/company/blog/show/?newsid=69). Is this normal, Garug or anyone? Does this happen to your gimbals?

But I get those roll oscillations in flight, and I now believe they occur when the gimbal is tilted and the camera must hold the angle with pitch, but reaches some conflictive angle, or suprasses its safe range, and then the gimbal produces the oscillations, which fade if the gimbal is returned to a reasonable horizontal position. This happens most notably when using the gimbal handheld as well. So I'm setting PID values now when the gimbal is in the worst position, to see if this finally improves the stability even in extreme situations in flight.

It is also critical to get all axes perfectly balanced with the camera to begin with, and I'm replacing some parts for others I designed myself to achieve that the best way.
  • My gimbals work on huge range of PID and power settings, but certainly not with any settings. Typically I just auto tune them one axis at the time. There is always big enough PID settings that will cause vibrations.
  • So, everything is well balanced now, firmware settings are mostly OK, and I'm about to achieve perfect PID/power tuning already (manually...).

The gimbal is working much better now at last, and it's surprisingly stable in general even with a GH4 without any lens, body or software stabilization.

But I still want to improve yaw tuning. I noticed it was directly connected to of most of my stabilization imperfections... including those roll oscillations!

The problem is, in order to maintain position properly, I must use higher P than say 8 with 200 power (it's P the one who keeps the angle, correct?), but then I can't seem to find a good D value to correct all the oscillations that are produced. So if I stick with low P, when I rotate the octo, the yaw loses the position, and recovers it more or less quickly depending on I value. I want it to keep its position at all times when not in follow mode!

What do you suggest me to try now?
  • P 8 is quite low, but sounds you currently can not tune it higher. Next step is to see the mechanical reasons for this and then tune again.
  • Maybe I'll raise P again to 24, since the shaking wasn't so bad, at least noticeably in the video. It's much worse the yaw not holding position very well... Would lowering slighly power and raising P be the same, or could it be better?

I wonder for some time already... My gimbal has a rubber band attached from the yaw motor to a gear in a part that can be attached to the drone or the handle for handheld. In other words, the yaw motor isn't directly attached to the same axis, but it transmits its movement to the gear, and then to the gimbal, through the rubber band. It's a DIY copy of the Cinestar gimbal... only with brushless motors. I'll post some photos for you to see the rubber band.

Could this system have some negative effect on the gimbal? I'm worried because I don't see any other brushless gimbal with it; I think it's a system best used with servos...
  • I guess it is more like a belt, i.e. not flexing like rubber. flexing belt would be bad.

Is it 1:1 gear ration? If not that affects the number of poles.
  • Yes, it's definitely stiffer than a rubber band...

Some photos below:

http://s2.postimg.org/hje3g1xq1/image.jpg

http://s29.postimg.org/5o4azcson/image.jpg

I think it definitely isn't 1:1 gear ratio... I'm confused about this. What number of poles should I set then for yaw, how I determine this?

I hope you can help me with this as well. I never liked this gear because all brushless gimbals I see have the motor directly in the axis. I still hope I can overcome the cons of this system and get it to work the best way possible, though.

Sorry it took so long to reply. You know, the holidays... :D

Thank you.
  • Calculate how many teeth there is on the gears. set poles on GUI to ('bigger gear' / 'smaller gear') x 'motor poles'.
  • I can't thank you enough, Garug.

I'll test it today and comment how it goes.

I never imagined the use of the belt would require different number of poles value. That's what happens when someone sells you something as complex as a brushless gimbal, without explaining a single thing.

Could you tell if the use of the gears and this belt has some cons versus a brushless gimbal without them? I think they're used to give the yaw more torque or something like that, but I'm not sure such system could hurt more than it helps...

Best regards.
  • Yes, it will give more tongue, but less speed. For yaw the speed is often enough. For rotating landing gear that could be good, it requires a lot of torgue, but can not say, I have not used and would not use normal rotating landing gear. there is just too much that the wind can shake and it is part of the stabilised construction.

DIrect driven motor is better for many reasons, actually I can not think any other reason it would be worse than tongue. Big motor and encoders provides plenty of torgue, but I still would not use normal rotating landing gear.

Note: with encoders I believe the motor poles are set normally, but there is separate setting for gear ration. Non encoder FW does not have gear ration, so the number of poles need to be set to the number of poles that actually pass on 360 degree rotation, calculated as mentioned on previous post.
  • Yes, I also don't like very much the landing gear being permanently attached to the stabilized part of the gimbal, but the other option, retractable gear as it's available currently, seems even worse just because it tends to be unreliable as it's relatively easy that some malfunction occurs, and that definitely could cause an accident (very expensive and dangerous...). That's if one wants to make 360° pan movements, because the third option, the landing gear attached to the drone, could be better, but then the system is very limited with the pan movement.

I tested the yaw with the new number of poles, 89 (or better 90?), from (130 / 32 ) × 22, and I can see some little improvement in some situations. I now noticed a hint about brushless gimbal systems using gears in the help box when putting the cursor above NUM. POLES value. It's curious I didn't notice anything related despite having worked with the system and carefully studied the manual and the software for years. I guess the matter should just be a little better explained, as many other matters. Oh, well... At least we have the forums and some nice people!

The yaw performance it's not yet perfect, though, and it's still difficult to get follow yaw working properly for the best behaviour and stability.

So we keep working on it.

Thanks again, and best regards.
  • 89 is fine, remember to retune, and maybe worth experimenting also with the power. Usually high power is better, but if the PID is very low, it is worth trying lower power. and retuning higher PID

I have lately been working on follow yaw

• Nice stability!

OK, thanks again, I'll keep testing.
  • So, here's some testing video I made using the octocopter, the 3-axis brushless gimbal and the GH4, from a testing flight some months ago:

https://youtu.be/UpMGaHpZdVQ

This is without lens stabilization and of course without software stabilization. It was follow yaw mode on if I recall correctly.

Since then I improved yaw movement and stability both in follow yaw on and off, in flight and handheld, and slightly also the other axes, and added a lens with stabilizer, which improves the overall stability, most especially the high-frequency oscillations, but not so much the roll movements (but something it does too). I'm still testing some things, though, to achieve the best performance possible.

So, what do you guys think of the stability you see in the video as it is? Any advice?
  • It is always difficult to say from youtube videos, but to me it looks like some vibrations are getting trough, or maybe turbulence.

The panning looks jittery, but that could be youtube, or frame rate issue.

What kind of camera settings do you use.

Seeing picture of the actual construction would make it easier to comment. Is it still with the yaw reduction gear and RLG? what kind of vibration dampers you have. You should block somehow the vibration dampers reacting too much to yaw movements. I think the yaw construction needs more solid base to work agains, i.e. the damper are flexing too much on yaw direction, but ass mentioned the yaw butter could be also camera settings/youtube/editing.
  • The camera is OK (I'm a professional ;)), but it's true that particular panning isn't very smooth. I'm guessing it was done when the yaw wasn't that well configured yet, and the movement by RC was this jittery. It's maybe a little too fast for the frames per second used (25), too.

In later videos the panning is smoother again (unless when done too fast, of course):

https://youtu.be/sxkve7fwjpM

This is from the last testing flights, three weeks ago, with lens stabilization, and without software stabilization.

I'm checking the originals right now and I remembered some parts of the first video were made with follow yaw on, but on the others it was off. That pan was done using Profile 1 (follow yaw off) and RC command, not using the octo movement.

Yes, it's the same gimbal with the belt. The vibration dampers are some rubber rings and two small carbon fiber booms, but it's true they aren't very stiff.

That's why I've been trying to get dampers and octo-gimbal assembly stiffer, but it's not so easy as some parts need to be changed.

Do you see PID/power and other settings for stability OK from the videos?

I'll keep working and testing.

Thanks a lot.
  • PID is difficult to tel from these videos, I see no obvious vibrations caused by PID, but other than that I would need to hold the gimbal in hand.

The yaw is better, but still looks somehow odd, not as smooth as it should.

Also the sky appears somehow noisy?

Looking my own video above, the panning is not smooth, on original it is pretty smooth and it pans smooth on Vimeo 2:05 on this video

It might be also some Youtube problems. Last night Youtube was completely down...
  • What frames per second did you use in that panning, with which shutter speed? Some jitter when doing pan movements is normal when using less than 30 (29.97) FPS, especially depending on the movement speed, the shutter speed, the distance to the subject and the shape of objects in the composition.

The panning in the second video, I think it's pretty OK for 25 frames per second progressive... It's not completely smooth as you comment, though, and I'm thinking maybe the yaw could need some more adjusting, at least in the RC part, or more likely the mechanical parts of the axis itself need a little bit of improving, as I'm trying to do now.

Don't mind the noise, I was doing some tests with film grain to see the results after the YouTube thing...

It's true Internet recompressing and streaming isn't the best thing for video, but... we can't help it.

The gimbal seems now pretty responsive and not shaky (no noticeable vibrations) when holding it.

I think I still need to work out some mechanical things, and perhaps do to a couple values a really minor readjustment, and I'll be OK with this gimbal already... Until I purchase another, better one. :D

Thanks a lot again.
  • The above video is 30 fps. At the 2:05 camera is GoPro, so I do not know shutter speed, but it is quite dim, so shutter speed is slow and the background blurs. On GoPro and bright light I usually use the ND filter to get the same effect. On GH4 I usually use shutter speed half of the frame rate, Too high shutter speed and the and there is no motion blur when panning and IMO that looks bad.

I do not know if that is the case on your video, and in any case I think there might be some jitter on yaw. But once again, it might be youtube. How does the yaw feel if you:

- Move the multicopter in hand.

- you hang the multicopter so that yaw can rotate and operate it with RC.
  • I'm reviewing the videos, even frame by frame, and I definitely don't see any relevant jitter, judder, stuttering... It must be YouTube, but I don't see anything myself there either. It's not a perfect horizontal movement because there will always be turbulence and some wind, and I need to review the mechanical parts again, but the panning is definitely good overall.

For both videos I used 25 FPS, progressive, with a shutter of 180°, which is the “standard”, edited of course at 25 FPS as well. Not so sure if YouTube changes framerates, though. Shutter at 360° would look too blurry as there would be too much motion blur, and less than say 120° is too little and would stutter (strobe effect).

Just curiosity, what do you think about that “film grain” I added to the videos? I didn't think anyone would notice, but I believe a good little bit of grain gives a more organic feel to the digital video. I'm still testing, though.

The yaw feels pretty strong and smooth doing what you suggested, as far as I can tell. Doesn't feel it's stuttering too noticeably, but I'll definitely keep testing, especially the pan movements.

I'll explain some more when I know something else. Thanks.
  • "Just curiosity, what do you think about that “film grain”

I was wondering the noise on sky, where it should not be with GH4. ;)

Noise I think is a problem on Youtube, as it is plenty of additional details that the codec should handle. On higher bitrate it probably looks better.

One thing I have noted is that at least on FCP different frame rates on same video always cause problems, and sometimes if it looks on computer ok, can still cause problems on Youtube.

I guess I am somewhat over sensitive for jitter, for DLP projectors too.