EN CN
Manual Yaw control - old question ?
  • Hi Guys.
    I have an RCT IMP 3-axis Gimbal with Basecam/Alex electronics.

Having read through a lot of posts here and elsewhere, I am still unsure if there is a way to get what I want. Some guys say it isn't possible, some say it is, or should be. Then of course we get into the whole 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 FW etc etc

My needs;
    - I want the yaw axis to be 'locked' facing forward (Or anywhere I designate). I don't want it to compensate for yaw changes in the frame.
    - My desire is to be able to move the Yaw axis via my R/C controller ONLY.

Right now it's all connected and working fine with sensor control and R/C control on Pitch and Yaw, EXCEPT I can't lock the Yaw to the R/C commanded position relative to the frame.

To be honest, I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would want the camera to be locked to the same compass setting for the duration of a flight. I mean, instead of using the frame as a camera zero-angle reference, you'd have to use something external, like a tree in the distance.....

Any help massively appreciated.
    Thanks
    Marcus
  • You probably still would want fast multi copter yaw movements compensated? If not, why not just use a servo for the Yaw control.
  • Yes, an amount of damping perhaps, but relative to R/C commanded position. Why not use Servo control? well let's see, it's 2014....?
  • Yes, but what ever works.
  • is this possible? I need this as well. The only solution I can come up with is to remove the yaw motor.
  • Yes of course it is possible, but first it needs to be really defined what you want?

If ou really just want to rotate the yaw with RC control and otherwise have it locked to frame, then a traditional servo is good solution.

If you want the gimbal be locked to a position though the platform is moving, but still want to be able to rotate Yaw. Just use the yaw in basic mode (i.e. no follow mode) and set up the RC control for the Yaw.

If you want the gimbal to follow platform yaw movements use follow mode and at the same time you can use RC control to control Yaw.

If you want the gimbal just compensate the sudden yaw movements and in average remain heading forward (like if gimbal is between landing gears and can not rotate much), this might help. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2243241 In this case the camera heading is controlled by rotating the platform