EN CN
  • Please provide a option to attach a potentiometer for Yaw, preferably a magnetic potentiometer. I think this would solve many problems/not so nice features.
  • I agree with this. As of now I don't see a way to use the flight controller outputs for a 3 axis gimbal because the gimbal would have no way of knowing where the frame is yawed to.
  • Yes potentiometer is the way to go to fix this yaw drifting issue
  • does anyone have any links to demonstrate how I can add a magnetic yaw potentiometer? not a lot of info on that.
    thanks,David
  • "Easy way" to use magnetic encoders. http://www.basecamelectronics.com/encoders/, but they need to be used for all axis.

Just Yaw potentiometer, easiest to use a potentiometer, until hopefully some day normal FW support yaw encoder only.

I have added a processor to encoder, that provides voltage (can be connected as potentiometer) it can provide also SBUS, so it can also be connected as receiver for Yaw channel... But that is some what complicated.

Maybe you can find an encoder that has voltage output. if so you could connect that as yaw potentiometer, but the max output voltage may not exceed 3.3 V , so use resistors if needed.
  • this sounds like a good fix for follow mode stability BUT, will using a yaw potentiometer help prevent yaw drift when not in follow mode?
  • No, not really, but maybe yes.

With potentiometer the gimbal is in follow mode even if the yaw follow is disabled in GUI.

The potentiometer always centres the gimbal related to frame, how fast, that depends of the RC speed setting etc.

But the centre point can be changed, so if the frame is fixed (tripod etc), it removes the drift.
  • so, If I add a yaw potentiometer and programmatically move the gimbal (via api) the change in yaw position will cause the potentiometer to provide input to the rc channels thus correcting the movement back to zero.

that does not sound like it will work for me.
    my project is below if you want to see what i'm producing...
    I am trying hard to get what I need from simplebgc, but it is very frustrating...
    www.steadyshotbot.com
  • There is also yaw trim, with an external processor and some programming skills you could do more.

But maybe you should look in to encoders version of the FW.
  • I have atm203 encoders but I cannot add to only the yaw, it requires all or none, that adds $150+$40 to the cost of the device which is too much.

having the ability to add an analog encoder to yaw in the base software would be ideal.
    I'm going to have to use an alternate controller if this is not in the future of simplebgc design.

thats unfortunate.
  • I added analog pot taken from rc-servo. This works quite well. But in some situations controller loses correct position and yaw does not centre any more. After controller reset operation comes back to normal. But this is bit tricky when you are flying.