EN CN
FW 2.4 Roll
  • I have everything working, almost. Estimate frame angles from motors is very good, I got also joystick and CMD working over Sum-PPM and even FC_ROLL and FC_PITCH. Serial communication is not working, I assume it is not available on 2.4, but would like to hear direct answer to this, is the serial communication available?

So everything seems to be good and ready for real life testing except one irritating problem.

on normal mode with or without Estimate frame angles from motor, there is constant 4 degree error on Roll. it shows on GUI and it is visible on frame. If I go to the Follow mode the Roll levels, when I come back to normal mode it goes to 4 degree Roll. I have 6 axis calibrated the IMU and played with Offset, but with no results. The 4 degree Roll in normal mode is always there.

I can level the Roll with the Joystick and it stays levelled until I go to different mode and come back.

So is this a bug or what?
  • Hello!

Serial communication - do you mean Serial API? It is supported in all versions, including 2.4.

This 4 degree is not an error, it is angle stored in memory. It can be saved to memory in several ways, for example when you switch YAW-ROLL control by menu command. To correct this error, assign action "Control camera by hands" to menu button or CMD channel, and execute this command. Than you will be able to position camera to zero angles and these angles will be saved to memory. Also, "Swap YAW-ROLL" menu command does the same - after you finishing with ROLL adjustment, return control back to YAW and ROLL angle will be saved.

Regards, Alex
  • Perfect, that solved the roll issue. I had tried previously the 'Control camera by hands' not realising that it would permanently store the values in memory.

Yes Serial API, It did not work after I updated to 2.4, at 2.3 it was working perfectly. But good to know it is still there, I have to see it again. The good thing is that I found the motivation to make the joystick to work also over Sum-PPM, that will be good for remote controlled operation.

Thanks
  • More roll problems.

I have been testing Follow mode. Follow Yaw and Pitch works mostly great when in reasonable angle limits, sometimes even following nicely trough a whole loop, but some times there is some unwanted Yaw/Pitch connection when operating the gimbal.

Now I have been testing follow Yaw, Pitch and Roll. With this I have a constant Roll static angle problem. Sometimes when I enter Follow mode, roll is tilted left , sometimes right. When entering back to normal mode the Roll is levelled. When coming back to Follow mode it is again tilted to some direction. Offset calibration does not provide consistent result and even after calibration the roll is tilted. (Offset calibration has provided in between -1 and 7 values for Roll 0 to 7 for pitch and normally 0 for Yaw. If I enter manually a value that levels the roll, about 20 +/- 5, there is some really weird roll/pitch/yaw connections when operating the gimbal, and next session the roll level is again off.)

So what is going on, how do I solve this?

How should the Offset be calibrated? I have turned motor of, levelled Camera and outer frame.

• Hi, Garug.
    I have found a bug in Serial API, CMD_CONTROL in SPEED mode does not work in 2.4b6. It will be fixed in next upcoming release 2.4b7.

To calibrate offset, you need to fix frame leveled, keep it stabilized (motors are ON!) and press AUTO button.
  • Hi Alex,

Good to know about the serial API, it is the SEED I am currently using. I will wait for the update and the Sum-PPM is working good now.

I have difficulties with the offset calibration. It is a bit challenging to keep the gimbal still, as I have strong (GB85) motors. However now I get quite constantly Roll - 6, Pitch 7, Yaw 0. It is better, but now after some testing I think this is related to the manual pitch and yaw control (via Sum-PPM connected joystick)

when I start the gimbal there is still a small roll error and the lens is not perpendicular to the handle. If I let it be like this, it seems to work better, but if I correct this yaw error with joystick there is problems; roll tilts to -5 nose 90 up and 5 nose 90 down and at the same time yaw tilts to the same direction nose up and down. I will study this more and report back.

Is the auto calibration calibrating Yaw, how should the Yaw be set?

After couple of more tests. Starting in Follow mode, entering normal mode, correcting Yaw error with stick, entering Follow mode, seems to give good result. Even after this if using Yaw stick on Follow mode, it causes strange behaviour when tilting the gimbal up or down.
  • There seems to be also some strange behaviour when changing modes when the gimbal is not levelled. If the gimbal is tilted up or down in normal mode and the mode is changed to Follow mode, that comes the new fixed Pitch angle until corrected with joystick. If the Pitch angle is changed like this, the gimbal starts easily vibrating.

Roll does not have this kind of memory.

If in Yaw/Roll/Pitch Follow mode and joystick is used for changing Yaw or Roll, there will be strange, but in a way logical yaw and roll movements when the gimbal is tilted up or down. I am not sure if it should be like this? But anyway if the initial roll or yaw angles where not correct when entering Follow mode and they are corrected using joystick, then I do not see any logic on the Yaw and Roll movements when gimbal tilted up or down.

I understand this might be problematic to fix when each axis does not have a potentiometer that would tell the absolute angle. A CMD 'level' command could be good. The yaw angle could be corrected with joystick before giving the level command and system would level the camera, expecting that user holds the outer axis level. If FC_ROLL and FC_PITCH would be available, they would be used to assist. (Currently I have a FC mode and it is very useful when the gimbal goes bizarre. It stabilises everything in few seconds. The only problem with this is currently that Roll is not transferred to Follow mode.)

Pitch joystick control in Follow mode seems to work as I would expect.

I think for now I will get couple of bubble levellers one to the outer frame, other to camera and make sure they are levelled before changing modes. I think that will help avoiding many problems.