EN CN
Firmware 2.4 woes
  • I was using FW 2.3 happily with only minor glitches. Decided to try the new FW, and it's absolutely impossible to calibrate the beast. Flashed the board twice(Armbgc v3.0), calibrated acc and gyro 3 times. I'm using the exact same settings that worked fine with the previous FW but now when I switch it on it starts shaking uncontrollably on all axis. Lowered slowly all values but there is no visible improvement. Any ideas?
  • Having issues too. Cannot get follow mode in yaw to work. It seems others are having this issue as well. I think too many updates at one time is not a good thing
  • I am having the exact same problem. I have no idea how to resolve it. Anyone have any luck?
  • For the yaw follow you need to set speed.
  • My rig is acting erratic after the upgrade. No amount of adjustments seem to fix this either. I even ran defaults and went back to rebuilding my PIDs with very diminishing returns...
  • I have a Arris CM3000 and updated to 2.4. My gimbal also starts shaking and even a pretty large roll drift at times. Others have not (yet) reported this with the same gimbal, at least one user said that things work much better now.

Somehow I think that, because the code has sped up?, the new firmware is more demanding on the hardware as well.

• petros you have to lower the I very low down to aprox. 0.03 or 0.05. And probably the P. The gimbal will stop shaking and start tuning from there. The D value has to go much higher than before.
  • Ok so I figured it out (I think) He's adjust the power control over the motors which changes the PIDs dynamic. I defaulted my who rig and started fresh ignoring all instincts. I kept dialing in values till I got a steady result. My D is now way higher than before and my P value is relatively low. I kept I at default and worked around that. my settings for my pitch and roll are equal at 10 .1 and 45 for P I and D. I have 5208 200T motors. Not sure if this helps anyone but I got rid of the over compensation issue on my rig and I'l be the first to say WOW this thing stays LOCKED. Very impressive!
  • @Ton4 please explain "set Speed for yaw follow mode" this was not necessary in the previous FW.

Alex Mos of you are reading please give explanations on how updated features are supposed to work. Thanks
  • At the "follow mode tab" , below the expo curve graph, there is for all tree axis OFFSET and SPEED.

Set the speed for yaw above zero :)
  • Hi, guys. All new features are described in latest 2.4 user manual. Please check it before asking questions: http://www.basecamelectronics.com/downloads/#v240

Also, their are briefly described in release notes.
  • One hint for tuning latest version: set I term to very low values at the beginning. Start from 0.01, tune P+D, than encrease I-term untill it becomes unstable, than return a little back.

For follow mode - check new settings in the Follow Tab and read their description in user manual.
  • Hi Alex,

I think the user manual should be updated for "I" Why is it speaking of RC Command?

The user manual still mentions Serial communication "in case of hard RC or Serial control" but is the Serial control still available? I do not get it working.

Also the GUI speaks of SBUS, is that available for the current boards?

• I give up with 2.4 on my Arris CM3000. All kind of strange things happen, tried a lot today.

Loaded up 2.35b , default CM3000 config, and everything is back to normal. (Oh, yeah drifting horizons, but that is kinda normal too)

I hope people smarter than me come up with a working config file for the CM3000.

:(
  • Hi,
    thank you to be here with, first comment.
    I have same problem (with Ton4). When i power up my gimbal connected to usb.
    I try to change settings via pid but no change. I have an erratic movement on roll and pitch axis like
    a calibration problem. there is no compensation movement. The Imu seems to work properly when i check the roll and pitch on soft.
    If i go back to previous version, i have no problem.

• Did you set I to 0.01?
  • oups, disregard my previous comment.
    problem is fixed.
    just to inform: i was using P and D too strong. you have to reduce it.
    thank you
  • exactly pohansir, that 'is why !
  • Ok, after playing around a bit with the settings, it's obvious that PID values need to be way different than on previous builds, P and I lower and D higher. Pitch and Roll seem to be stable, still having issues with Yaw but it could be due to excessive weight. I'm using 3x8017, 4S on ArmBGC V3.0.
  • @petros same here, I got everything working well, yaw follow works but the holding torque is not as good as it was with the previous FW. In FW2.3 when in yaw follow there seemed to be a strong, more solid hold driving the axis. With the new 2.4FW yaw hold isn't as tight.
  • ton4 lower the I to 0.02 and go from there...this version needs very low I value. Now speed is set diferentely
  • Thanks for the advice kikojiu.

But I am kinda tired of trying. Had enough of testing. Old firmware seems to work fine with the parameter supplied with the gimbal.

Maybe the manufacturer comes up with settings for 2.4. or maybe someone invents a translation table from 2.3 to 2.4

BTW, if you radically change how a system works, maybe you could do a little more to prevent all this users go into hours of re-testing and calibration. Like informing manufacturers of gimbals of the changes, supply them with the new stuff, have them release new defaults etc.

Sure I am a SimpleBGC noob. Don't have time to become an expert.

And, I keep my eyes wide open for something else.
  • I have successfully completed this upgrade, using Kikojui's advice and it went very well for the most part. Currently i cant seem to get follow mode to work correctly, i am close but it still seems to drift on the roll & Yaw when i turn the camera upward. what i would like to do is lock the roll so it doesnt move. any suggestions are greatly appreciated. otherwise, i have a joystick on my gimbal and it works very well with the new 2.40 B6 as well as a basic mode where this is only a follow yaw checked. i just lowered P and I settings, and raised D settings from my 2.30 b5 firmware and it worked very very well in case that helps any one.
    here are my Settings on a DYS HHG5D Hand Held axis with a canon 60D:

Pid Controller --------------------------------------------Motor Config
    ----------P---------------I-----------D-----------------------Power------Inverted------Poles
    Roll----14-------------0.02-------30------------------------225--------Checked-------22
    Pitch---14-------------0.01-------30------------------------200--------Checked-------22
    Yaw:----16-------------0.02-------40------------------------255-------------------------14

Hope that helps some one.
  • Thanks for all of the advise...things started out shaky and then fell in place with super high "d" and low "i".

(3) x 5108s (belt drive yaw)
  • For the life of me, I had not been able to get the YAW working properly. It holds for gentle movements, but would loose hold if a more acute/sudden movement is introduced. I certainly had not been able to achieve what some online videos shows a gimbal to be able to, not even close.

Is anyone else having this difficulty.

I figured:
    1. It could be my PID tuning
    2. The power being applied to the YAW motor (gone up to 150 and motors starts heating up a little)
    3. Maybe the YAW motor is not strong enough (5206 but the payload is only a NEX5)
    4. The power supply to the YAW board is from a VCC line supplied by the main board which this hardware manufacturer has implemented for convenience so that I don't have to solder the YAW board to the battery
    5. The balance of the rig (seems alright to me)
    5. It could be the FW, specifically with the amount of discussions on others not getting their YAW working.

So, ONE SIMPLE QUESTION - is there anyone out there who has gotten YAW to work well?

My ONE WISH - a simple step-by-step procedure on how to tune the PID parameters. Everything I have read online and on Youtube is fairly vague. Sample: set PID to XYZ initially (XYZ for FW2.3; xyz for FW2.4), increase P until XYZ, reduce by 1, increase D until, reduce by 1, increase I to XYZ, adjust P until XYZ, etc.

Thx.
  • MihgtyThor raise the I bit to around .35 roll and .30 pitch. Keep me Posted. Also the P on the roll could go to 15 and Pitch around 8. The Power can be 200- 160-200 and 2nd power +5
  • Frankt08 most of Yaw problems are poorly balanced yaw axis...it has to be perfectly balanced mechanically speaking. Let me know how can I help.
  • Yaw works great, but as mentioned above it need to be balanced like other axis. Easy way to balance Yaw it to roll the outer gimbal (handle) 90 degrees and balance the Yaw.
  • I spent a week trying different combinations of PID and wasn't able to get my gimbal to work. Usually I had lots of small jitters resulting in crazy rolling shutter artefects.
    Tried 2.3 last night and the gmbal is almost good.
    I think my problem was that I couldn't go below 0.01 on I in the new firmware

for 2.3 I use:
    ROLL 12 0.04 14 power 180
    PITCH 4 0.04 3 power 220

for 2.4 I tried loads of settings. I was able to get it respond nicely when stationary/pushed but outside footage was completely useless.

it is possible that I have motors that are not strong enough (5010, camera around 850grams), or that I should use 4s not 3s battery with them, or that I'm doing something completely wrong. Gimbal is balanced and calibrated (6 axis) of course.
  • Hi Everyone ,
    After many, many hours , I could configure the new FW 2.4.
    Profile story each is different . You have to start from 0 to calibrate your best and do not have anything like previous versions .

As mentioned above , the parameter " I" has to be always very low .
    The parameter "P" is low compared to previous versions.
    The parameter "D" is high, but not always. For example in the PITCH is low.

The first prifile not have any follow mode enabled . Everything works well
    The second PROFILE, YAW active mode only . It works well with its own parameters. They are not equal to the first profile .
    The third PROFILE , I have activated all the FOLLOW MODE. ROLL, YAW and PITCH .
    Here I had very many problems :

First problem is not solved . NOT ACCEPT "ANGLE MODE" in the ROLL, by more we press the button marking thus does not work. Only moves in Speed ​​mode . Please note , that if you use a joystick on the rool may move alone and do not know why . Also increase the DEAD - BAND , so it does not move .

Then put in " Follow Roll Sart , deg " put 0
    Then put in " Follow Roll mix , deg " put 20

Without these parameters does not work.

NOT FOR BEGINNERS .......: (
    I only have one big question in me and I is: If every 3 months change the FW , and we need to have many hours to understand , please DO NOT DO MORE .

We do not want to spend the rest of our lives trying to understand the new FW since there is not even an illustrative video to know what to do , and something very , very important to know that there parámentros put .
    Since the value 0 is error in the system and does not work .
    Sometimes we do not want the function to follow the roll , that's why we put the value 0 "Follow Roll Sart , deg " and " Follow Roll mix , deg " .
    If you put 0 , malfunctioning when leans heavily to the gimbal up or down in .

Then calibrate the voltage is very important to run everything, but does not change automatically depending on the battery consumption . When I return to calibrate the voltage, depending on the battery , malfunctions as we enter the parameters is done with a fixed voltage calibration .
    No if it is better to put a voltage regulator between the battery and controller, to send a constant voltage, or leave it? .

Specific I have the version 3.5 driver .

That's all for now, then send you more detail.

Greetings ...
  • kikojiu - many thanks for offer to assist. Despite the hardware supplier's claim, I am not convinced a 5206 motor is powerful enough for the camera assembly, so I will upgrade to a 5208 for the YAW first, then balance the YAW axis, give that a go first and then come back for more discussions. It seems the 5206 motors breaks hold TOO easily so I would conclude it is primarily the suitability of the motor first and foremost. Many thanks!
  • Hi people, i succesfully updated to new 2.4 firmware and I got a different issue than yours

i'm trying to configure the my RC setting for control the the yaw and pitch with a Futaba RC
    till the 2.3 firmware the calibration of the RC was perfectly done in automatic, now with the new firmware the neutral point from RC is totally changed, it's no more centered and if i try to set the new neutral point in the Advanced / RC Sub-Trim panel any value i insert it doesn't have any effect

does anybody found the same problem?

thanks for any help in advance