EN CN
gimbal on a real helicopter.
  • Hi guys !
    I did some tests last week with a gimbal from RCtimer on a real helicopter.
    http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=987&productname=

It worked not really well because of the wind. But you can see some footage here :

I'm wondering now if there is a motor powerfull enough to fight against that wind. Maybe this ? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GiftT-MOTOR-GB-MOTORS-GB85/1569860025.html

Does anyone else tried ?
    Can we expect better results ?
  • It looks like the gimbal is installed on the landing skid and that it is has some low frequency vibrations. that might be part of the problem.

What kind of camera do you use? I noticed you have Zoom on it. If you can do with a small camera, then smaller gimbal with bigger motors would help against the aerodynamic forces. The GB85 is a really nice and strong motor I am using it.
  • The problem I had is visible at 2min51, when motor turns suddenly because of wind. I have cut each time it did that... But when we are flying slowly it was better.
    Is GB85 much more powerfull than GBM5208 ?
  • The information I have is 5208 size is between 1 to 2 kg cm torque, GB85 is about 5 kg cm

There is always a wind speed on what this kind of gimbal will loose control, but I think GB85 would do better. Minimising the gimbal size and doing some aerodynamical balancing would also help as would getting rid of vibrations.
  • Hiyfly gmbal is fake CF, you can tell by the price buddy! Try Famous Hobby for the real original gimbal you will not be unhappy. I know it seems like a deal but it is not you get what you pay for!
  • here is an example of follow yaw video :

Amazing stabilization !
    But I need follow pitch to do better, because a joystick is too hard to control during shooting...
  • I recently upgraded my 5108 pan motor to an Ipower 8028.

I am very happy with the torque but cannot for the life of me get it to stabilise the yaw axis anywhere near as nicely as the smaller motors.

I wonder if these motors compromise speed and accuracy for their torque?

I am wondering if this is to do with the high resistance (19.3 ohms)?

Is there anything I can do to get the 8028 motor more accurate? I also have an issue that when the 8028 is tuned to get the best stabilisation, every now and then it starts to shake? This seems to happen at all sorts of PID’s and power settings.

The settings that seem to work best for the 8028 on Yaw (with Canon 5d mk3, Canon 20mm 2.8 lens, running 4s regulated to 12v):

P=33
    I=0.01
    D=24
    Power =70 (any increase in power results with large motor shake/vibration)
    Firmware 2.40b7

Really interested to hear peoples thoughts on this!
  • Your Power and 'I' seem to be quite low. I have GB85 and power 190, P and D around 40 and 'I* around 0.1 on a 5D gimbal (4S directly).

My gimbal is mostly working fine, but there is some positions where there is some high frequency vibrations and certain fast moves causes loose of control. On normal limits it works fine, but I always need to be a bit careful.

I share your concern "I wonder if these motors compromise speed and accuracy for their torque?" but actually think it is the FW that might not be well tuned for high pole count and high torque motors. I hope the second IMU will help on this, and maybe some other FW updates. (my current board is 8 bit)

What I have noted these high torque motors really need solid frame and camera installation. Otherwise there is high frequency vibrations, oscillations and loose of control.

The FW 2.4 seems to have some kind of memory for oscillations, I totally hate that. i.e. if something has disturbed the gimbal in basic mode and it has started oscillating, if I go to FC assisted stabilising mode, the oscillating stops, if I now go back to basic mode, it starts oscillating again, but if I go fist follow mode and then back to basic mode, it is ok???

• Thanks for the reply and info. I will try PID/power settings like you suggest to see how it handles. The problem is so far when I have increased power over 70 this results with motor vibration and shake to the point where it forces the Pitch and Roll axis's off balance and loss of stabilisation. It can work fine but then starts vibrating and getting worse and worse. Will post update once tried new settings...
  • Filmed from iPhone sorry but here is the gimbal with YAW PID/power set at;

P 40
    I 0.01
    D 40
    Power 190

http://youtu.be/Bqd55sDu1cA

Vibrating like crazy!

Any recommendations? Not sure what to do anymore...
  • Looking how it is vibrating near the Yaw motor and how the camera is vibrating, there is flex on the gimbal frame. That is the reason for the vibration. Also try holding the gimbal in hand when testing, now the handle is vibrating wildly and contributing to the vibrations.

I would make sure that all possible flex is removed from the frame (make tubes as short as possible and ensure that all is firmly fixed), reduce power to 120 and P to 20 and do all testing handheld. (also make sure gyro high sensitivity is not activated on advanced tab.)

Maybe mounting battery on front of Yaw motor would help, I would try that if possible. Additional weight there would help and it would reduce the overall inertia of the frame. Above the handle would be also good place for the battery.
  • Yea this is showing it at extreme, but it does the same when holding gimbal, a little less but holding gimbal as solid/strong as possible it remains vibrating... less power it is ok but then throws itself off a stable YAW

Will try those settings/recommendations, thanks for the help so far much appreciated!