EN CN
  • We are having much difficulty in follow mode with 2.35B. It is related to Follow Pitch Roll that was added. Symptoms would be gimbal can be tuned with USB connection, then when disconnected and power cycled, it will go into "bop" mode where is shakes oscillated and rotates away in a random manner. Setting Pitch and Mix to 90 or 0 do not seem to matter, same problem persists. "Disabling" Pitch Roll follow and leaving YAW on works and gimbal returns to normal operation. To get around this we have disabled PITCH ROLL follow and set this to RC JOYSTICK to control pitch. If anyone finds a solution please let me know. We have tried Angle 90 and Mix 0 and Angle 90 Mix 90 - same problem - when switching into profile goes into bop mode.
  • Hello!

Try to check "Inverse" setting for PITCH anf ROLL. Does the previous firmware 2.2 work with the same settings in Follow Pitch?
  • Alexmos where is the inverse setting for pitch and roll? Why do I have to reflash the firmware from time to time to bring things back to normal? Is there a ideal way to place and attach the IMU?
    Last thing is it normal the "invert motor " doesn´t turn the opposite way? I try reversing but doesn´t work....Only the Yaw axis.

Thank you
  • Hey There my main man!

Previous Firmware works great no issues like this.

Sometime I can get it to work with the PITCH/ROLL follow after connecting Simplebgc, Cal Gyros, and writing to board. Then on disconnect and power cycle, it may go back into BOP mode. Sometimes it takes a while with power off, then does it the next day.

So we just turned PITCH ROLL follow to "Disabled" for the time being and use the joystick on pitch until this can be figured out.

I will try INVERTS - but I have not touched that since doing AUTO 2 or 3 times had the same detections which I left alone after that. (It INVERTED roll only) since 2.2
  • dbeaty I have always set invert by hand in the past...The auto is misleading. Last auto it gave me a motor with 144 polés when it has 22. Why should I trust the invert ? ;-)
  • But what do I look for? if it goes right or left up or down when I want isn't it right?
  • But in my case if I invert still goes the way I want. That is wrong. Should go the opposite way. That is why you reverse it. What I meant was if this auto function gives me the pole count wrong how can I trust invert the motors auto function? As in my case they don´t invert when I check the invert box...it is a problem...
  • But how do you know when invert is set correctly?? LOL
  • It will turn in the opposite direction of the one it should "ordered by the board". If the motor is inverted then it would turn in the opposite direction Pitch front would the pitch back and so on. In my case just chose which would give me the smoothest motion...no other way to be sure...
  • Finally got back to the set up and my problem with "bop" mode (when the whole gimbal starts doing the shimmy and shake) with Follow in 2.3b5. No change no matter what motor inverts or PID settings I try. Or Gyro cal...It starts up if I engage the new Follow Pitch Roll Yaw, then it immediately goes into "bop mode" with Roll rolling about 45 degrees, coming slowly up then oscillating and rolling back to about 45 degrees. The only fix is "disable" or perhaps flashing back to 2.2. Anyone else? This can't just be my Full Size DSLR gimbal doing this. Can provide video if that would help, or any other suggestions. Thinking of reflashing back to 2.2 to get follow mode to work again.
  • Go to the follow mode and set the angles. 0º and 90º. Then lower the roll P if it starts to shake. Anyway hold the gimbal steady before changing mode. If it starts vibrating it won´t stop due to the feedback from the gimbal to the IMU.
  • Yes, I tried this. 0º and 90º. 90º and 0º, 90º and 90º. No change. Lowered P and D, and power. No change. The only thing that stops it is disabling follow roll pitch yaw. If I leave follow yaw on and the other disable, it works. (I've set pitch to joystick RC control for now)
  • Check your motor cables, I had a similar symptom and my roll motor was not connected properly.
    Just a thought!
  • dbeaty2 what I told you works for me....did you try to reflash the firmware? I don´t know to what extent the RC cables being connected does that. But really...I stopped having those shaking problems. Now I don´t have a problem ever in any mode. The only thing that happens is when I change to follow pitch mode if the gimbal is not really steady it will start shaking but then reboot, and go to follow pitch mode again. I remembered something...don´t boot the gimbal having the follow pitch as you profile#1
  • I am going to try the re flash firmware and I'll also try pulling RC connection and see if that is interfering. One thing I noticed, in the interface my board shows as "Version 1.0" But I am told that it's a "Version 2" board by the shop that sold it to me. But failing that, V2.2 worked good so I can always jump back one version.
  • Just reflashed firmware and it went away. Puzzling. You told me kikojiu that some settings in firmware don't always hold. Perhaps this is the problem. I'll see if it comes back in the future.
  • OK so I turned off the Gimbal for about an hour and when I came back and turned it back on, the problem returns. I filmed what it does, going from RC control of PITCH, YAW to Follow mode http://youtu.be/MinFTr93JE0
  • Ahhhhh...after seeing the video saw what it might be. Try reversing roll motor. I think your I is too low too. Try to use .30 to roll and .25 tilt. Did you try phisicaly hold the gimbal before changing modes?
    Please send me an e-mail address. Thanks
  • Yeah tried that and it does the same thing only in reverse. If I flash firmware it goes away for a while and works. I think it may be when I disconnect battery, next time I power on it comes back.
  • Have you tried not checking the follow yaw mode when in follow pitch. You have to start ruling out choices. Is your IMU alligned with the 3 axis simmultaneous?
  • Same problem here in belgium as told before. hope this wil get fixed soon in new FW.
    also notice problem when use the analog joystick the roll moves slightly, saw some people have the same problem.
    What i also notice on all my models, build 5 of them already, is when rolling hard from outmost left to outmost right the roll compensate is not fast enough in follow mode. when i switch to folow pitch off, then is reacting perfect en horizon keeps level perfect ... i think a lot of work has to be done on the follow pitch option in next FW ... for me now i tell my clients to use follow pitch of wich works best. i wont go back to 2.2FW because there were also some problems with multiple yaws that you lost the horizon wich is solved in 2.3B5 ...
  • Vandepoel check if you don´t have limited the angles.
  • I gave in and I reflashed to 2.2. Follow mode is now working great, now back to tuning PID. (sigh). Seems like I am always going back in circles. But it's happily doing follow mode. (I also love using Joystick for pitch) in follow mode.

I watched Fabien's video and went back to low settings, moving up and using the realtime to see oscillations. It's not entirely relevant for a Canon 5D, but it's a good example of what you want.
  • tryed everything, for the moment going to wait and only use follow disabled in profile 1 until there is more news from alexy. i hope he sees also all this symptoms on his model or must find a way to reproduce these errors to find a solution since 2.2 is working better on the follow ...
  • I have same troubles here. Stabilization seems to work correctly, but there's a strange behaviour when tilt is more or less than 45°.
    And as soon as I enable follow pitch roll and yaw, it becomes crazy.
    I become crazy too !
    I didn't try another firmware, because I'm new. It's my first brushless gimbal.

Can someone help please ?

Thank you very much !
    Cyril
  • As for the shaking, see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27088746&postcount=4413. This is a different controller, but it really is about the dynamics of the gimbal. Tuning PID parameters in the position it stars shaking might help, I did not try yet.

Also I would instal the IMU firmly, so no plastic box in between the IMU and installation point. This is currently the best way I have tested for IMU installation http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27034465&postcount=8484

As for the follow me problem, how are your 'I' parameters, might be wort of trying something really low 0.1 ... 0.01.
  • This shakes at that angle is perfectly normal. The 3 axis intersect and the IMU "gets lost". This is the limit for tilting the gimbal.
  • Yes but that limit seems to depend great deal of many things. Like why would the limit depend if the gimbal 'feet' is supported on the table or if it is handheld, see the video. This is a modified Tarot gimbal, but I think the same principles apply. So I think how the gimbal is constructed affects a great deal the angles on it starts vibration. This is probably combination of many things and it is not clear for me at all.

• Thank you for your help !
    kikojiu you said :
    "This shakes at that angle is perfectly normal. The 3 axis intersect and the IMU "gets lost". This is the limit for tilting the gimbal."

But I saw some examples with better results :
  • But notice, the above video was in follow me mode, and the to frame relative Pitch was never that much. I can easily do the same in follow me mode.
  • Ok, I understand. Thank you !

Do you have an idea why mine is dancing macarena when I enable follow pitch roll yaw ?
  • Hi aircam,
    Some tips from my gimbals. The roll should be inverted, P set to 35 and i to 0,35 D 20 . This higer values eliminate your roll is moving along your long left to right movement, decrease deadband to 2,5 and you horizon will be almost perfekt at al time. Power never above 180, you will damage your motor after a while because of heating, it makes no diference between 180 and 200 and 250. Above 180 is to much heat. So lower Power from yaw to. Only way for beter result is put a monster motor 8012 but also this will not be a big improvement. Just handle with care the yaw movement. Not to hard , use your body for a smooth yaw movement, it takes some special bodymovement for nice results to. Strange behavour is indeed normal. Only way to get it a little little better is use again a monstor motor for roll 8012 120t . I equip all my gimbals standard now with this monstermotor for roll. There is no need to go to these limits in follow off mode. It would be nice like movi can do but for the money we now have a gimbal im fairly happy with result. In the above video where the guy gets better results going all above and down is indeed in follow mode and this should work perfekt.
    When its doing the lambada or startup is bad giving shakes means it leaned to far over to the front or back, maybe flaw in FW, when happens just push the tilt by hand until its in its next 45 degrees position and it will be ok. If you dont have a joystick, adjust the pitch trim untils pointing perfekt forward.
  • Solution for switching profiles and shakes happen is put folow on in profile 1. Put follow off in profile 2. Then make shure its startup in profile 1 by pressing write again in profile 1 and disconect from gui. Now it startup in folow mode and switch to profile 2 the shaking should not occur anymore i hope :)
  • Aircamera and Garug. The examples you give:

1- Tarot gimbal - It doesn´t have 3rd axis so before the roll and tilt intersect the gimbal tilts much further. That wouldn´t be possible with a 3rd axis unless you have 2 IMU´s and 2 boards one for yaw and other for roll and tilt. Also the Power settings are different handheld and even on the stand. If holding one hand you have to lower the P otherwise it will shake.

2 - The Vincenzo Vermiglio gimbal is always working in follow pitch mode. So the intersection doesn´t exist.

There is a limit of around 45-55 degreees after which it will intersect axis and shake. Nothing to do except using like I said 2 IMU and 2 separate boards. I don´t have problems with follow mode it works great. Always has after a few tweaks.

Here is one gimbal working fine in follow roll pitch yaw mode.
  • All aerial camera moves done with a Brushless Gimbal shot by us.

Thank for watching
  • Nice work!

Yes vibrations when tilting in normal mode are normal. My point just being that many things affect on what angle they start.

I am currently working to connect second IMU via RS. Joystick via RS is already working nicely.
  • Aircamera, thanks for the vid. I had the same problems with firmware 2.3b with it going crazy when switching into Follow Pitch Roll. I finally switched back to firmware 2.2b which eliminated the problem for me. The other solution I found was disabling follow pitch, only using follow yaw and putting pitch on the joystick.
  • Kikojiu thanks for the videos. I want to see some action shots with you shooting upside down over your head from video 1
  • ahahah...dbeaty I don´t think I´ll ever shoot anything like that... :-) Just wanted to test the limite on that follow pitch mode ;-)
  • I decided to go back to 2.2b and here is a demo setting follow mode PID's.
    http://youtu.be/T1NcSVd-if8
  • Pitch P 15 at least...Don´t pay attention to I. The static tuning has nothing to do with dynamic tuning...but it is your gimbal. :-) To test the yaw you have to disconnect from the PC and power cycle. By looking at the images you need higher I on both pitch and roll and less P on the yaw
  • Nice to see you now and some implements of me on the other side of the world :)
    If you want to know how i look go to my site www.soundq.be :)

Indeed, the i on pitch is the speed that you want it to follow , for everyone different how fast you want to follow the pitch. For the rest in this video the stability is perfekt i think what i saw on my ipad full screen, dont know if looking on a larger monitor there is some more tuning to be done, i think you can try the advice of kikojiu above but other than that your at all your limits and should be good to go.

Butttt, the big problem i see in the video and wich im also still are strugling and gives me nightmares is the horizon is not perfekt level, maybe a normal person doesnt notice this because of many perspectives but for instance at 6m16 you can see it very well on the painting on the wall and the seet below, the image leans to far to left and this is not good if i deliver a rig with such an offset.

Now, im strugling for weeks to solve this, one rig is fine and another rig has your problem with the offset horizon. This problem i had in 2.2. I had to wait for 1 minute after turning it on because otherwise when i yawed the roll whent off and came back resulting offset image. This was an error in 2.2 and is fixed in 2.3b5. But after this minute of waiting it worked perfekt always. What i did then is hold the rig above my head and look if the pitchbar is perfekt level, i used my garage always , it has this lines painted on it . Then while keeping the rig above my head it turn slowly several times 360 degrees around to check if pich bar keeps perfekt horizontal.
    If this was not the case, i redid the 6 point calibration( dont forget 1 time write at the end) , taking the imu off my pich bar and using a square toy box of my daughter to do the 6 point calibration, mount the imu back and to the same above the head test.
    Many times it still was off slightly but i recently discovered that the only solution is then after this second time of 6point calibration, is adjust the imu on your pitchbar the oposite direction then its leaning. hopefully its possible depending on your design how the imu is mounted. Mine are always mounted with 2 25mm rings on the pitch bar wich has these long screws inside its and then i can loosen these rings and start adjusting the imu in the opposite direction off my error . By start adjusting imu i mean litteraly maximum not more then 1 mm because it has an enormous effect on your horizon wich is logical, if imu is mounted a little off , your rig will keep the imu straight put pull the pitchbar off ...
  • Today I will implement Kikojiu's suggestions. I will have to do something with Pitch power as if I go up with I to 15, you know, it starts sounding like a clarinet. I get different notes with different I settings.

For me I found the roll in yaw follow was directly related to deadband and expo. I think you pointed that out. If you set those to 0, it goes away. You have to find a happy medium.

For horizon with ACC cal, once it's set, I use "Set Angels By Hand" when I begin. A bubble level helps. The Canon has the build in horizon indicator.
  • This is off topic sorry cause it's follow mode in 2.2b but hey that's the way it's gotta be.

http://youtu.be/s2UU8wUP_gc
  • Ha haaa, i even didnt noticed it until i saw my name :) ... Looking good like this ... I would say keep it like this, didn notice any remarkeble horizon off also and footage is stable all the way .... One question what do you mean by set angles by hand? Is it an option in software or do you mean that you hold the camera in place by hand and then turn the gimbal on?
  • Only accessible with button programming. Gimbal goes dead, you set desired angle on pitch and roll and it comes back on and locks.

Tried to get rid of roll when panning but expo and deadband do not fix it in 2.2 as I thought. Only removing follow pitch and assigning that to joystick removed it. I leave yaw on follow with 45 expo.
  • gone try it tomorow when im home, i have a shoot for redbull where they gone use my gimbal for the steady shots ... im curious how it will go ... keep u up to date
  • dbeaty and vandepoel. If the horizon is levelled when you start the movement then the problem is P too low on roll axis, assuming the gyro is perfectly calibrated. dbeaty it is almost perfect. Raise the Power to 200 on the roll and see if it holds the horizon...
    And I forgot...gyro trust to 110. ;-)
  • Kikojiu I did this and it was still rolling, but less, I then increased I on Roll and it reduced it more. The thing determining amount of roll is speed. The faster you turn, the more and more roll is introduced. If you slow down to proper panning speed for a nice smooth pan, there is no roll. So in most cases it would work with these settings now.

Tomorrow I hope to work with some guys with MoVi to run some shots in the same location at a Park. I told them they could try Easy Rig on MoVi. They Shoot Red Epic, so we will see.
  • I have a Movi 10. The results are basically the same and Movi is still difficult to tune. Has exactly the same parameters to tune as alexmos but with different names. On your gimbal I has to be .25 Pitch and .35 roll.
  • i have the same problems, follow mode in this version is unusable with several boards, also had the problem that one board stops working correct, will try the firmware reflash, what seems to fix like reported here....