EN CN
Magnetometer "+-180°" on startup
  • Hi there,

I'm using an almost perfectly working SimpleBGC setup as a part of camera tracker project .

Here is a small video of it running : https://youtu.be/TP_aOmYlVWo

For my application I use the magnetometer option in the GUI, so that I'm then able to say to the gimbal "go at 34° N for example"

My problem is that one time out of two after powering the gimbal on (not precisely one of out two, but I'm sure you understand) the compass angle is 180° off, which mean that when for example he is ~90° N, he think in the GUI that he is ~270°N.

I did the magnetometer calibration multiple time and it does not change anything. Magnetometer orientation is also ok, because right after calibration and orientation settings "writing" the orientation is all good.

The only solution I have found at the moment is to power cycle the gimbal multiple time, until the orientation is alright again.

Also I noticed that when the orientation is shifted by 180°, if in the GUI I click on the calibration button of the magnetometer (without necessarily doing it afterwards) once the calibration window is open, the orientation becomes normal again. And when I close the window it becomes false again.

Has anyone had this problem before, or have any idea of what I can try to find the problem?

(I should also say that the magnetometer is ~9cm from the nearest motor)

Thank you in advance for your ideas!

Yohan H
  • Hello,
    I see your application works good, my congratulations!
    Regarding compass issue, This is most probably a firmware bug, I don't have any other explanations. Wich version of firmware do you use? I remember such issues were fixed in the earlier version. Please try the latest 2.70b2 and let me know about the results.